• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 reverse lights?

josimps2

Couple of questions for everyone, from the NV3550 to handling.

1. Has anyone hooked up their reverse lights to come on when the NV3550 is in reverse, and if so how do I do this? Is it just a simple connection of wires? I'm still shifting the column shifter into reverse to get the rev lights to work.

2. The next improvement I want to make is the handling of my truck. Its got a manual box and everything else is stock from 1974. I have a power box that I plan on getting rebuilt by West Texas Offroad, but I've seen a few threads about BC heim joint steering and some others concerning stone crusher steering for improvements on handling. It handles like a tank right now and it is all over the road and just isn't safe. It wanders all over the place. What improvements do I need to make in order to make it much more responsive and handle much better. Recommendations?

3. I've got a Power Steering Pump off a 76 Lincoln. It has a spot for hydroboost which I plan to add sometime in the future. I've got a 302 engine. Where can I find a bracket for the pump? The only bracket I have now is a stock PS bracket. Will this work?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yes, there is a wire and connector on the drivers side of the transmission that is EXACTLY lined up with where the wire on the stock three speed back-up switch just so happens to dangle after you have removed that switch. Just go to the parts store and get a weatherpack type connector (Chrysler ) off the shelf, splice it in the Bronco harness side and plug it into the connector on the side of the transmission. I wish the original Bronco three speed switch had been that clean.

This is one of the reasonbs I love this transmission. Everything falls right where it is suppose to. Everything looks like it was made for the Bronco.....

OP
OP
josimps2

josimps2

Thanks Mars, I'll try and hook it up this weekend. Anyone with recommendations for questions 2 and 3?

Brewbro21

I have never had manual steering on mine, but if it is really lose you might and should check all your bushings, and steering linkages, tie rod ends, drag link etc...there should be any play in them.

After I replaced my rod ends and drag link it was link driving a new vehicle.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
#2 do the steering check and see what is so sloppy, that is your problem. Could be anything from bad bushing in the tulip joint to balljoints that are wore out. If you can get the alignment checked as well.

#3 What kind of pump is it? I can only guess it being a Saginaw, but that is a guess. Venders sell brackets to use that pump. If not look for a vehicle with that pump and your engine and use that stuff. Or just build your own. I would just recomend getting one from a vender so that it will match the pulleys (Bronco pulleys tend to be differnt then normal car pulleys). Do you already have the double groove crank pulley to run that pump? That might be a bigger challenge.