• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 Short Throw Shifter (Hurst or B&M?)

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I am getting ready to order a short throw shifter. Which one would you go with, Hurst or B&M. I mainly want the short throw because the factory Jeep shifter is hideous! I am partial to Hurst because that is what I have in my mustang, but the B&M shifter looks nice.

I am also having trouble figuring out what part number for the Hurst Shifter. It keeps listing the NV3500 Trans. Is that different from the NV3550?

Thanks,

Chris B.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Man, this B+M one is killer! I just bolted it up to the trans today to check it out and it's real short throw! I don't know anything about the Hurst one, but I am happy with this thing. Plus it's anodized!:cool:

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
Don't brag on it and not post up a pic. C'mon, lets see it. I have the Hurst, but it's not all anodized and purdy like that. ;D I think when I ordered it said NV3500. It's the same.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
You guys have part numbers?

I have seen a couple different part numbers for the Hurst. One is for a chevy truck with the NV3500. and the other is for the NV3500 in the wrangler. They are two different part numbers. I am wondering which part number works better in a Bronco. I don't doubt they will both bolt up. I am guessing differnt part numbers are different shaped shifter arm. Can anyone confirm?

P.S. - Post detailed photos of what you did for a boot. How did you work with the twin sticks. It looks like it is going to be close. If you can't post them then e-mail me at cgbexec@aol.com and I will post them.

Thanks,

Chris B.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I forgot to ask. What are you guys doing for shift knobs. Apparently the B&M comes with stock threads for the stock jeep knob (metric). I can't seem to find any cool 5 speed round 8 ball type knobs for that thread pattern. The Hurst shifter uses a sae thread and so there are a million options, but then I come back to what part number for that shifter?

Thanks,

Chris B.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I ordered the Hurst for the Jeep which comes with a black Hurst ball with the 5 speed pattern in it.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I ordered the hurst because I like the flat surfaces on the sides of the shifter arm where is says hurst. This shifter comes with a black 5 speed shifter knob that says Hurst on the sides. The B&M Shifter has that trick anodized tower, but in my installation you won't be able to see it.