• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NWMP/Sunset Fab tank - retrofitting for EFI

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm helping a family member add EFI to their Bronco and it appears they have a Northwest Metal Products/Sunset Fab 23 gallon tank.

I'm looking for any advice/experience with someone who has added an in-tank pump setup to this tank. The tank measures 13" in height and all of the retrofit modules I've seen so far appear to be about 11-12" tank depth max. There is also limited clearance between the top of the tank and the body but I think I can alleviate that with some spacers on the tank standoff.

Anyone ever retrofitted a fuel pump setup to these tanks?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Of course. Out here we don't get rid of good parts to buy expensive parts. '99 explorer pump, small stainless steel serving pan for a sump, cut out the tank top down to about 11/2", weld in thick steel plate, replace fuel sender with a floatless one so it does hit the stainless sump.
098ed66b61f91ee4159a7a7c8353cd37.jpg
824809eaeff3f5be6778b3f33f6c52d6.jpg
d23b89b1fb8da29aa600a6e372526350.jpg

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
The FiTech in tank module has decent depth. I did a blazer tank without needing to extend anything. Areomotive in tank module has an extension kit you can buy that takes the depth way out to over 16”.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Details on that floatless sender please! Does it have the same flange bolt pattern as the float type?
You need one of those. The ISSPRO one with the WH kit is also very nice...

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm helping a family member add EFI to their Bronco and it appears they have a Northwest Metal Products/Sunset Fab 23 gallon tank.

I'm looking for any advice/experience with someone who has added an in-tank pump setup to this tank. The tank measures 13" in height and all of the retrofit modules I've seen so far appear to be about 11-12" tank depth max. There is also limited clearance between the top of the tank and the body but I think I can alleviate that with some spacers on the tank standoff.

Thanks,
Todd Z.
Yup...

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...ump-for-23gal-efi-install.305833/post-3324792

Tanks, Inc for the win!

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was hoping to use one of their units but the one you referenced is only good to 10.5" depth per Summit's website and I can only find stuff on their website good to 12" of depth. I measured the tank on my nephew's truck at 13" this morning.

Maybe I need to re-check it as I think the tank bottom might have had some slope to it and if it's closer to 12" at the area where the pump goes, it might work.

Thanks!

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The FiTech in tank module has decent depth. I did a blazer tank without needing to extend anything. Areomotive in tank module has an extension kit you can buy that takes the depth way out to over 16”.
Thanks for the recommendation - looks like their units are good to 15-16" of depth so I could use one of those in a trimmed configuration.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Of course. Out here we don't get rid of good parts to buy expensive parts. '99 explorer pump, small stainless steel serving pan for a sump, cut out the tank top down to about 11/2", weld in thick steel plate, replace fuel sender with a floatless one so it does hit the stainless sump.
098ed66b61f91ee4159a7a7c8353cd37.jpg
824809eaeff3f5be6778b3f33f6c52d6.jpg
d23b89b1fb8da29aa600a6e372526350.jpg
Love it! And love the thriftiness of it - that's my heartbeat! Regrettably, the fab work etc. would be beyond us at this point. I wish you could winter here in AZ :).

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
I was hoping to use one of their units but the one you referenced is only good to 10.5" depth per Summit's website and I can only find stuff on their website good to 12" of depth. I measured the tank on my nephew's truck at 13" this morning.

Maybe I need to re-check it as I think the tank bottom might have had some slope to it and if it's closer to 12" at the area where the pump goes, it might work.

Thanks!

Todd Z.
Well, I used that exact unit in a 23 gallon NWMP tank. I seem to remember using the bottom screw to the stand piece and moving the sump down like an inch...but it was no big deal. Just measure the tank depth and set the sump to exactly that depth. It works fine.

I might have bought mine from TanksInc directly, instead of from Summit because I wanted one of their check valves...or maybe I wanted the sump without their pump. But they were very easy to work with by telephone.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well, I used that exact unit in a 23 gallon NWMP tank. I seem to remember using the bottom screw to the stand piece and moving the sump down like an inch...but it was no big deal. Just measure the tank depth and set the sump to exactly that depth. It works fine.

I might have bought mine from TanksInc directly, instead of from Summit because I wanted one of their check valves...or maybe I wanted the sump without their pump. But they were very easy to work with by telephone.
Thanks for the additional info - I used some of their stuff on my WH tank install and talked to them on the phone at that time. I will contact them on Monday and also check out some stuff at a local dealer.

Todd Z.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I used the same NWMP 23 gal tank for my EFI conversion in my build thread as Viper did Todd. I've cut mine apart and modded it to fit, frame and crossmember changes. 4 link and accept EFI stuff 4 times at last count.

I also used an Exploder pickup. Everything I do seems to involve a ton of fab work. lol I had to modify everything on it to flow enough fuel for my 460sb. I also used a stock sender and I used 4 individual pickups- one in each corner of the tank essentially. No leaks, saved hundred$.

Tanks Inc is & has been my "go to" for all things fuel.

I'll see if I can find a couple pics and link them.

1buckeyefan1

I went with the Tanks Inc PA-2 with my NWMP tank. I have a 2" body lift for my Explorer swap so I didn't need to recess the pump.

I also replaced the sender with a floatless one from Nick @ Northeast.

Attachments

• nwmp1.jpg
    nwmp1.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 17
  • nwmp2.jpg
    nwmp2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 18

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA

Thanks,
Todd Z.
This is actually the first tank that was actually made for EFI, and it came for e cc erything for it. Same tank I have but I did modify some stuff...although you would need the fuel pump mm punt the tank came with if you don't have that or find one that fits.

This fuel sender fit perfectly, but not the right range for stock gauges:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098MHSCHV/?tag=classicbroncos-20

Wrote some stuff about that tank in this thread:
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/in-tank-efi-pump-but-no-barbs.319635/

Might be able to find some pics if it helps, but the pump part itself was easy. You are just supposed to zip tie the pump and pick at the right level. I also used an insulating sleeve on the pump, and that prob makes it hold better anyway.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
If you have to have the stock range, you might find one, but this one works, it's just slightky too tall and would need a spacer to raise it slightly or to grind some of the bottom part off. Not by much.

https://www.northeastclassicfordparts.com/product/23-gallon-gas-fuel-tank-sending-unit-stainless/

My tank was not made for a body lift but I have one and needed to make spacers. You could make rails on each side before you put it in since you know you'll.need them or you could not realize you need it until after the tank is in (like me) and make spacers that fit over the feet. I 3d printed these and they cup the feet and stay.

1707063167297.jpeg

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
This is the only Pic of the pump unit I could find.

if for some reason you don't hvpave that or maybe your tank is a different one than mine, @bronco italiano found what seemed to be a good pump setup from Holley.

1707064079302.png

They make them to fit up to 12" deep tanks and then you have to buy something if you need deeper.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
This is one shot of the tank I got yesterday. I don't see the feed line on the front like I normally associate with the NWMP tank, and apparently the feed is coming off the top like yours, @ba123.

I re-measured the tank height and it's definitely 13".

So I'll keep investigating options -thanks for all the input thus far.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• IMG_5751.jpg
    IMG_5751.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 13