• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Odometer Reversal

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
After I drop in my new engine I was thinking about resetting the odometer back to 0 (since I have no idea how many miles I actually have anyways), is there any way to roll it back?

66horse

Bronco Guru
this is slightly off the topic but an explanation of the above wuestion my answer mine. What breaks in an odomoeter. Mine doesnt work. The speedo does but the odometer doesnt.

Thanks,
Steve

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Give it a shot. You have to fiddle with it to get it right but its not to hard.

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
I have heard that you can hook up a drill to the gear that goes in the transmition and just spin the cable until it is back down to 0.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
It's actually Very easy to roll back the odometer and NO drill is needed.

Of Course, not that I've ever done such a thing ;D ;D ;D

In Michigan as in probably most states it is illegal to so :eek: But since in Michigan once a vehicle is over 10 yrs old they do not record odometer readings on titles anymore so it shouldn't matter. :-

1st you must pull the counter assemble out of the gauge cluster. There are little tabs that stick up between each wheel in the counter. Carefully and skillfully hold just the end wheel and tab roll the next wheel around. I don't have the parts in my hands but if memory serves me correct you have to continue repeating the process all the way down. Just play with it you'll figure it out when you have it in your hands.

Once you have all the wheels at 0, reinstall and you have NO miles on your truck ;D ;D

But remember this may be illegal. :'(

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
67HalfCab hit is on the head... but it's kind of a pain because you need to take apart the gauge cluster to get to it. At least that's how a "friend" of mine did it (certainly not me ;) ).

I like the drill idea. This way you don't have to mess with the disassembly of the cluster.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=rflud link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=0#msg117363 date=1048298212]
67HalfCab hit is on the head... but it's kind of a pain because you need to take apart the gauge cluster to get to it. At least that's how a "friend" of mine did it (certainly not me ;) ).

I like the drill idea. This way you don't have to mess with the disassembly of the cluster.
[/quote]

The drill will work, however you better plan on letting it sit overnight or longer depending on how many miles you have on your odometer and the RPM of your drill because I can guarantee you it won't take 5 minutes. ;D

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
correct sir! just be sure and start from the largest digit and work towards the ones digit. Otherwise you will get a ten thousands digit that sits about 1/16 inch off the rest of them. Like the others, not that I would know of such things!

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
[quote author=BrewDude link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=0#msg117335 date=1048293964]
I have heard that you can hook up a drill to the gear that goes in the transmition and just spin the cable until it is back down to 0.
[/quote]

First, Speedo's (odometers) do not go backwards. Second, even if they did ... do the math ... 30,000 miles (as an example) divided by 100 MPH (maximum speedo) = 300 hours = 12.5 days.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Just do like Ferris Beuller... Jack up the back and throw it in reverse!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
I don't think he ment that you would use the drill to back the miles off. I believe that he was saying to use the drill to spin the OD until it reads 0 miles. Granted that might take a while but I suppose it would work.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
[quote author=rflud link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=0#msg117416 date=1048312664]
I don't think he ment that you would use the drill to back the miles off. I believe that he was saying to use the drill to spin the OD until it reads 0 miles. Granted that might take a while but I suppose it would work.

[/quote]

It's the same thing.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=ASE-73 link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=0#msg117394 date=1048309292]
First, Speedo's (odometers) do not go backwards. Second, even if they did ... do the math ... 30,000 miles (as an example) divided by 100 MPH (maximum speedo) = 300 hours = 12.5 days.
[/quote]

True it will take one heck of a long time with a drill and True newer vehicle Odometers will not go backwards But many of the older vehicle Odometers will go backwards.

I say take the odometer out of the gauge cluster and set it at Zero. It can be done in less than an hour.

G

I've been wanting to do that on mine. Since I just droped a brand new 302 in it.

OP
OP
O

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Well before I read the post I had my guage cluster removed and tried to hook a drill to the back and in fact you can move the odometer in reverse... :eek: But either going in reverse or trying to turn it over it would take waaaaaaaaay too long (takes about a min with my drill to remove 1 mile). I'll have to try disassembling the unit like was mentioned! Thanx all!

76BroncoSport

Loc.
McKinney, Texas
[quote author=67HalfCab link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=0#msg117359 date=1048297993]

In Michigan as in probably most states it is illegal to so :eek: But since in Michigan once a vehicle is over 10 yrs old they do not record odometer readings on titles anymore so it shouldn't matter. :-

1st you must pull the counter assemble out of the gauge cluster. There are little tabs that stick up between each wheel in the counter. Carefully and skillfully hold just the end wheel and tab roll the next wheel around. I don't have the parts in my hands but if memory serves me correct you have to continue repeating the process all the way down. Just play with it you'll figure it out when you have it in your hands.

Once you have all the wheels at 0, reinstall and you have NO miles on your truck ;D ;D

[/quote]

For you never doing that, you sure do sound like you know how to do it!

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=76BroncoSport link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=15#msg117810 date=1048472299]
[quote author=67HalfCab link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=0#msg117359 date=1048297993]

[/quote]

For you never doing that, you sure do sound like you know how to do it!
[/quote]

LOL, Lets just say I've seen it done once or twice. ;D

OP
OP
O

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
?? I have the guage apart now and can't get the wheels to move? What exactly do you do with the tabs? I've tried to push them to either side (either bringing them closer to or further from the other numbers) and also pushing them forward or backward, but still no go? Any ideas since y'all have ummm seen this done a time or two? ;D

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=Outshine2 link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=15#msg117826 date=1048475794]
?? I have the guage apart now and can't get the wheels to move? What exactly do you do with the tabs? I've tried to push them to either side (either bringing them closer to or further from the other numbers) and also pushing them forward or backward, but still no go? Any ideas since y'all have ummm seen this done a time or two? ;D
[/quote]

You have the odometer unit out of the gauge, correct?