• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Odometer Reversal

OP
OP
O

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Well yeah... sorta... I have the odometer unit removed, from everything it can be unbolted/unscrewed from. It's still attached to the actual speedo face, I would have to cut or drill it out to get it completely removed. Presently I can easily get to any of the wheels and the tabs that seperate them. I can get you a pic if ya need to see where I'm at.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=76BroncoSport link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=15#msg118050 date=1048550192]
could it be that it might not work on the later model early broncos? like 75,76,77? Just a thought and wondering myself!
[/quote]

No it will work on them all. I've ummm seen it done on 67' through 76'.

I'm working on taking some pics which I'll post so everyone can see. Of course it's not me doing it. ;D

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
If you used a Dremel it would take 1/20th the time.

[quote author=Outshine2 link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=15#msg117769 date=1048464272]
Well before I read the post I had my guage cluster removed and tried to hook a drill to the back and in fact you can move the odometer in reverse... :eek: But either going in reverse or trying to turn it over it would take waaaaaaaaay too long (takes about a min with my drill to remove 1 mile). I'll have to try disassembling the unit like was mentioned! Thanx all!
[/quote]

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
hey, the things are over ten tears old so milage is a non issue.....hell I got a extra cluster, I'll rip it apart right now......I'll post pic in a few..............................

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
[quote author=66horse link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=0#msg117328 date=1048293128]
this is slightly off the topic but an explanation of the above wuestion my answer mine. What breaks in an odomoeter. Mine doesnt work. The speedo does but the odometer doesnt.

Thanks,
Steve
[/quote]

I had the same probelm. When I took it apart it turned out the metal bracket that holds the odometer to the sppedo face lost one of the side rivets. Because of the slack that that caused, the odometer gears weren't engaging. I lined them all back up and JB welded the area where the broken rivet was. How the rivet ever broke is beyond me, but my odometer works perfectly now.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
ok....I'm back. got pics.....just did the whole job in 15 min.....all back to zero, just like the day it left the factory. Ask me your questions, I am now the speedo expert with pics to boot. Should I do a tech article?

66horse

Bronco Guru
[quote author=thegreatjustino link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=15#msg118345 date=1048624266]
[quote author=66horse link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=0#msg117328 date=1048293128]
this is slightly off the topic but an explanation of the above wuestion my answer mine. What breaks in an odomoeter. Mine doesnt work. The speedo does but the odometer doesnt.

Thanks,
Steve
[/quote]

I had the same probelm. When I took it apart it turned out the metal bracket that holds the odometer to the sppedo face lost one of the side rivets. Because of the slack that that caused, the odometer gears weren't engaging. I lined them all back up and JB welded the area where the broken rivet was. How the rivet ever broke is beyond me, but my odometer works perfectly now.
[/quote]

Cool man thanks!

and Jeepster, lets see pics!

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
before 75152 mi
speedo_before.jpg

after 00000
speedo_after.jpg

took me longer to post these pics than it took to do the job.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Outshine2 link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=15#msg117826 date=1048475794]
?? I have the guage apart now and can't get the wheels to move? What exactly do you do with the tabs? I've tried to push them to either side (either bringing them closer to or further from the other numbers) and also pushing them forward or backward, but still no go? Any ideas since y'all have ummm seen this done a time or two? ;D
[/quote]

what you want to do is rotate them
od_numbers.jpg

the trick is to keep all the tabs lined up. start from the right and work to the left. rotating the metal tabs from high to low (9-0) till all are "0".

od_0.jpg

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=15499;start=15#msg118348 date=1048624799]
ok....I'm back. got pics.....just did the whole job in 15 min.....all back to zero, just like the day it left the factory. Ask me your questions, I am now the speedo expert with pics to boot. Should I do a tech article?
[/quote]

Yes, a tech article would be great. Obviously there is alot of interest. A verbal description does not quite explain the procedure to where it is obvoius.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Ill get this organized later.....(the site is runnin a little slow right now)

To get the #'s out there is a little clip.....push the little "legs" towards the #'s to clear the bracket then push the outer part of the clip off the end of the # shaft to release the # cluster.
od_tab.jpg

JokerOfDeception

Loc.
Whittier friggin cal
;D hey lemme buy that guage cluster off of you, 1, itll already be reset, and 2, that cluster looks alot better than my faded white piece of crap with the broken orange speed indicator needle.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
sorry joker.....its from a 74 and it dosent say "unleaded" on it. I might need it to dupe the inspectors.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
Thanks Jeepster. I take a few minutes to go into work and get some stuff done last night and borrow the digital camera to take pics, Log on tonight to find that you've already got the darn pics posted. :p

I have an extra cluster I took apart too.

I guess next time I need to prioritize better. CB first, life second ;D ;D