• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OE Fuel Pump stump!

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Gotta an interesting one for ya', 76 carb'd 351, mechanical OE pump. Running a 351 (D2AE) outta a 72 full size car (I usually tell them a 72 Galaxy 500 351ci at the parts store)

Fuel pump diaphragm crapped out, leaked gas into the crank case. Pulled off the pump and drained the fresh oil I just put in %)

The fuel pump that came OFF the rig has the supply (input) hose barb on the right hand side of the pump (when staring at the front of the pump from the driver wheel). The output side going to the carb has flare/compression fitting type connection to the bent hard line to the carb.

The new pump has the hose barb on the left side and the compression fitting on the right side, the opposite of the pump that came off? Tried pulling a pump for a 76 EB as well, same part # as the 72 351 Galaxy.

I can make it work but my question is do you think on the new pump that the fittings are reversed? Input on the left and output on the right? Or is it still output on the left and input on the right like the pump came off? Obviously I can make it work but WTH? Why does this truck always fight me? :cry:

Your help is appreciated I actually am trying to get it running for a test drive for a potential buyer :cry:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Every fuel pump I've ever installed on an EB - probably six or seven over the years - had the input closer to the bellhousing and the output to the carb closer to the water pump. Never heard of or seen a reversed one like you're talking about.

OP
OP
smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Let me ask you guys this, if you're running a V8, OE mechanical fuel pump on YOUR EB, does the supply have a hose barb or the compression fitting? And does your output to the carb have a barb or compression fitting?

What's the OE setup? Hose from the tank/frame rail hard line to fuel pump barb and compression fitting to pre-molded carb output? Or vice versa?

I guess I'm just gonna have to play w/ it and see which side sucks and get a foot or so of fuel hose and hose clamps and figure it out as needed.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Every one I have ever seen on an V8 EB had a barbed hose fitting for the supply and flared hard line to the carb.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Barb/nipple coming off of the fuel pump that you press the hose from the tank onto and add a hose clamp.

Female threaded fitting for a compression tube on the supply line to the carb.

OP
OP
smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Every one I have ever seen on an V8 EB had a barbed hose fitting for the supply and flared hard line to the carb.

Barb/nipple coming off of the fuel pump that you press the hose from the tank onto and add a hose clamp.

Female threaded fitting for a compression tube on the supply line to the carb.

Agreed and that's how my old setup was/is. Compression fitting on the output to carb on left and hose barb on the right side for supply. But now this new pump has swapped the sides of the barb and fitting, amazing! Something so silly %) So hopefully the supply and output is also swapped and not just the fittings are swapped ...dunno.

Sigh. Check out the pic, from O'Reillys for a 76 Bronco w/ a 302

m23011_p04_ang.jpg

And now for a 72 Galaxy 500 w/ a 351

m23007_p04_ang.jpg

OP
OP
smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
WHERE/HOW ON EARTH DOES MY ORIGINAL HAVE THE FLARE/COMPRESSION ON THE LEFT AND THE HOSE BARB ON THE RIGHT?!??!?!

These old trucks never cease to amaze %) Thanks for all your help guys.

I'll have to take a pic of the old pump tonight just to prove I'm not totally crazy :p

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Now I have to double check too. I may have been wrong in my last post from work.

Let me step into the garage and check...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The most common type pictured above is what any EB V8 would require. The exception is the combination fuel pump/vacuum pump used on early vacuum wiper trucks, so hard to find, most owners go with the common SB type. There's no reason to order anything but the EB replacement. 302 or 351 is irrelevant, as is the car or truck model. Pump's the same. All the pumps that work have a 3/8" hose barb intake and a 5/16" double flare tubing discharge. The OE electric wiper equipped EB pumps have the hose barb in front. That's not important, as the steel fuel line works on front discharge pumps too. A far more important consideration is the quality of the pump. Look at recent feedback on various available pumps.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I think the concern here is that with the inlet and outlet swapped that it will no longer be stock in how the lines fit. For a true restoration, something going to be judged by those who know, this is a big deal. For the average guy it won't matter much.

OP
OP
smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
The most common type pictured above is what any EB V8 would require. .... There's no reason to order anything but the EB replacement. 302 or 351 is irrelevant, as is the car or truck model. Pump's the same.

Agreed, however, the real question I had was why did the mechanical pump I took off my 72 351 have the supply barb on the right and the output flare on the left? Whereas all the OE replacements (and apparently everyone else's pumps) have the supply barb on the left and the output flare on the right.

Wasn't a big deal, installed it last night, just pumped the lever w/ my thumb over the flare to ensure that was the output. I guess the real question was if my original had the output/flare on the left and the supply/barb on the right and the new one had this reversed, was the function also reversed or did the new one have a flare for supply and barb for output?

More of a curiosity than anything. Thanks everyone for your input.

The final answer? The barb was still the supply and the flare was still the output despite being on the left and right respectively and counter to the oe looking pump I took off.