• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OEM Style vs Metal Aux Tank

FordFarmer

Contributor
Hi All,

Just looking for Pros and Cons. Price and capacity are obvious but is there anything y'all have learned from experience with either? I'm carbed, maybe EFI in the coming months, maybe not. Factory selector is working perfectly. I will eventually install an 18ish gallon AeroTank. Not interested in a 23 gal main or getting rid of the Aux all together. Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm still waffling around with them myself. Never liked the mounting method that has two long bolts running up through the floor.
Nothing wrong with it I suppose. Just doesn't seem clean and tidy like it should be.
The factory tank was very well designed, but too small and after this many years may be compromised anyway.

EFI or carb does not come into play here, as none of the ones I'm aware of are set up for an internal pump anyway. I guess they feel the tanks are too shallow to accommodate a pump module.
Seems like that could be worked around, but you'd have to do it yourself.

But to me, design and function criteria aside, the larger capacity trumps all the rest of the items on the list when it comes down to the final decision for me.
And I do have a 23 gallon main tank. I just still want more...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just thinking that if the issue is that the aux tanks are too shallow for a vertical mount pump, perhaps simply going to a horizontal mount would be all that's needed to make it a non-issue.

Or maybe just make a more compact support system with lower profile external appendages. The 12g tank we sell (#9705) sure looks deep enough. And it has "feet" or stand-offs on the top to keep at least some fittings from hitting the floor. I bet spacing it down another little bit would not compromise ground clearance enough to be a problem.
And it sure looks like the standard pump and sock filter could be fitted to the tall portion of the tank.
I'm not a tank designer, so not sure if there are other criteria I'm not taking into account. Such as maybe the pump spends too much time exposed to air, rather than submerged in the cooling gas. Not sure...

Paul