• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Off Road build help.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
So slowly continuing build, and need to make parts decisions. Dedicated off road build for West trails bucket list trip, BP 306, C4 to Atlas II, Winters shifter, Detroit lockers, Painless package, blank dash panel. So utility and reliability my focus, not originality. No need for useless items on this build, just something to break or not work. Again,my disclaimer: I have no (outside South) off road experience. Here goes.

1. Heater. Some electric option better than OPE ?
2. Wipers. Know I need but want best off road option.
3. Factory warnings. What suggest as minimum ? I intend to cover major systems. But Painless has a lot of circuits I don’t think I need.
4. Switches. Since have blank dash, leaning toward toggle , etc unless otherwise recommended.
5. Coolers. Radiator has input but leaning toward utilizing it plus dedicated trans and oil coolers. It gets hot in AL. Overkill ?
6. Custom shifter console. Hard way: Build and mount in more ergonomic location ? Easier way: Or fab existing tunnel ? Other way ?
7. On board welder. Good or gimmick ?
8. Air. Compressor or tank ? And I use bottled gases on farm.
9. Yokes. Using free and used parts, think I got 1310 and 1350 on rear shaft. Custom shaft or change now ?
10. Expendables. Buy extras now while biting bullet ? If so, what recommendations? Driveshafts, axles, etc
11. Other.
Thanks.

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
For cooling I run my trans fluid through the radiator then into an auxiliary cooler. I'm running one of the summit mini coolers with fan on my power steering and plan on putting one in for the trans as well. They're nice and thin and fit behind the grill.
For the wipers just keep the stock setup and install the Cherokee upgrade blades and arms.
I would keep the factory heater as well, it can work as a mini radiator if needed. I would upgrade the blower motor though.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I cut out about 5 gauges going with dakota digital, I'm only adding vacuum and oil temp.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
1,2, 3, and 5 answered. 8, Since you are thinking on board air you should consider ARBs instead of Detroit's. It will be much easier to turn on slick rock when you don't need to be fully locked and better manners for those times you are on road.

10,11, At least 31 spline axles. Upgrade front axles and joints. Rock sliders, quality mounted roll cage, bumpers properly mounted and stout attaching points. Comfortable seats and belts. A way to attach and secure any cargo so no danger from flying objects. Extra fuel capacity. Things for getting you back on the road ( straps, jumper cables, winch, shovel,etc.)

Fun people to go with that don't panic.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
For #4 I used rocker switches inside my center console. I only have like 5 or 6 at most. I can't count them now cuz the bronco is in winter storage, but it's a great spot to hide them, and they're close when you want to use them.;);D

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Off roading in the west is just that. It's not going to an artificial rock crawling park. There are endless miles of land with no roads. Then there are logging and mining roads. Not maintained and sometimes impassible. But that's the fun. You don't want to make your EB any wider than the body. Tires sticking out the sides limit the places you can fit through. Military Hummers have problems on narrow trails. Breakdowns in remote areas will try your abillity to improvise adapt and overcome. You can't simply walk out and many areas have no cell coverage. Bring plenty of water in deserts, an entrenching tool, an axe/machete, first aid aid kit, a 30 caliber battle rifle, and a tool kit. I like an air compressor over a tank. The sheep herder's jack hasn't proven useful for me, but you never know. Led drop lights do most of what a flashlight does, and let you work in the dark with both hands free. One spare tire is all I ever needed, but some ranch hands carry 2. Not easy in an EB.
In setting up your EB don't block the radiator. I tried oil and transmission coolers in front of the radiator. Both were ineffective in 110 degree heat. They just made the engine less able to stat cool. IE it over heated. Tire chains are great where snow can be an obstacle.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Tire chains are great where snow can be an obstacle.

I went wheeling with a friend a few years back, and he was driving his daily driver Gen-2 Toyota pickup. He tends to be hard on tires, so he carried three spares, one underneath and two in the bed, but that wasn't the funny part. We reached a point in the trail where we were all struggling on some greasy logging roads, and then I look back at one point and hear a weird noise...he had chained up all 4 tires (in less than 5 minutes) and was craling up the hill making it look easy, so chains work well in more than just snow.

Dyehard

Can't wait to see this rig once you finish, oh and I expect an invite when you take it to Hawks Pride to test it out!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Keep it simple. I spend a lot of time out west wheeling, far more there than close to home. My build has just the tings I use/need. The drivetrain is really over built but in thousands of trail miles has been trouble free. As for gauges, water temp, volt, fuel and speedo are all I find useful oil pressure is there or it’s not and if it’s not you will hear it long before you look at the gauge, damage is done, you’ll determine to stop or not by the amount of noise so what difference does a gauge make.... I look at trans temp and everything else the same way. For heater, I don’t use one, I find heated seats more effective unless running a top and doors (own neither). Air, I carry an aluminum 10# co2, rarely use it. Even though I run 37’s I carry my trailer spare, if needed it gets the job done, just looks funny, far lighter and easier to pack around. Simple is dependable. Welders and the such are neat and can save the day but with a simple robust build I find them unnecessary. I carry a spare fuel pump, fuel filter relays, fuses, some wire, assorted connectors, basic tools and basic recovery gear. I carry a couple of quarts of synthetic engine oil, contrary to popular belief it will work fine in engine, trans, diffs, tcase and steering. Leave space to carry water in the desert there is no water so carrying a few extra gallons is good, even if it is for the ones you come across that ran out (happens a lot).

Keep it simple, don’t over think it and GO! You’ll find you need less than you think.

rdullery76

Your idea about driving "out west" is way too general. I've lived out west for a long time and owned 2 Broncos during most of that time starting in 1968. I've driven them in most of the "out west" driving terrains from desert sand to high Rocky Mountain areas, in summer heat and winter snow.

The big question is, what kind of driving will you be doing? If you are driving at a reasonable speed with respect to the terrain, the stock Bronco is more than adequate. Experience at judging the terrain that you plan to traverse is more valuable than than trying to tackle every challenge. Sometimes its just better to find a different path.

On the other hand, if you want to go off road fast, then you need to get into all the suspension, drive train, tires, etc, that beef up the machine adequately.

Most of the things you list are just personal preferences and not necessary for a casual off road experience.

Here' what I typically carried when traveling off road:
10 gallons of extra gas
2 to 5 gallons of drinking water depending upon the length of trip
with 1 container small enough to carry if necessary.
Basic set of hand tools including crescent wrench, and vice grips
High lift jack as well as stock bronco jack
A modest quantity of automotive wire
Crimp splice connectors with crimp tool
Electrical tape
Spark plug air pump, (electrical air pumps are good now)
Snow chains if traveling in snow.
Spare tire of course, and tire plugging kit.
Tow strap
A winch can be useful at times, although I never had one. The high lift . jack can be used as a crude winch.

A second battery would be a good option especially if you use a lot electrical devices.

Most important is to know where you are all the time. Contrary to what most non westerners believe, you are typically not that far from a town or at least a road or highway that you can walk to to get emergency help if needed. If going into really remote locations, Tell someone where and how long you'll be gone so they can report you missing if needed, or carry an emergency beacon.

Don't know if there is a "off road help list" of other off roaders listed by their location that are willing to help if needed, but would be a great idea.

Best thing to do is to learn you and your Broncos limitations.

I recall a really good guide to off roading book that I found useful. Don't remember the name, but the cover had a picture of an early Blazer hanging from a tree by it's winch.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks Gents, good advise. And Dyehard, definitely taking u and Rodgers on maiden run. Need young men to fix stuff ! 😂

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Keep it simple. I spend a lot of time out west wheeling, far more there than close to home. My build has just the tings I use/need. The drivetrain is really over built but in thousands of trail miles has been trouble free. As for gauges, water temp, volt, fuel and speedo are all I find useful oil pressure is there or it’s not and if it’s not you will hear it long before you look at the gauge, damage is done, you’ll determine to stop or not by the amount of noise so what difference does a gauge make.... I look at trans temp and everything else the same way. For heater, I don’t use one, I find heated seats more effective unless running a top and doors (own neither). Air, I carry an aluminum 10# co2, rarely use it. Even though I run 37’s I carry my trailer spare, if needed it gets the job done, just looks funny, far lighter and easier to pack around. Simple is dependable. Welders and the such are neat and can save the day but with a simple robust build I find them unnecessary. I carry a spare fuel pump, fuel filter relays, fuses, some wire, assorted connectors, basic tools and basic recovery gear. I carry a couple of quarts of synthetic engine oil, contrary to popular belief it will work fine in engine, trans, diffs, tcase and steering. Leave space to carry water in the desert there is no water so carrying a few extra gallons is good, even if it is for the ones you come across that ran out (happens a lot).

Keep it simple, don’t over think it and GO! You’ll find you need less than you think.

Steve knows what he's talking about. Keep it simple! I do like my oil pressure gauge though. I check it on start up every time. A voltmeter is a must.

Don't forget a power steering cooler.

I've found an air compressor more reliable and cheaper than a tank. I have run out of CO2 on several occasions which left me with out a front locker. Filling a CO2 tank gets expensive - especially if you have a small leak in the system! The small Viair compressor I run now has proven to be very reliable.

Extras - add a couple more 12V outlets/USB ports - phones, cameras, radios all need power. And your passenger will need a few too!!

Hinmaton

I would recommend keeping your build simple and reliable until you have developed significant off-road experience and confidence.
Skilled driving beats gadgets and gear every time.
Build up a good recovery kit and learn how to use it well.
Find and take a few off-road driving classes.
Learn the limitations of your vehicle and then build is stronger. Build it for the purpose it’s going to be used for most.

I own a purpose built trail vehicle, built for east coast rock crawling.
It’s geared low, lots of droop, locked, armored, flex’s and heavy with all the gear I carry.
I have on-board welding and I use it almost every time I go out. But not once on my own rig, yet.
I run front and rear winches, and I use them all the time.
I carry tons of tools, spares, electrical test equipment, blankets, wipes, oil/fuel spill kits, jacks, CO2 tank and compressor, multiple first aid kits, fire suppression, HAMM radio and on and on and on.
Not everyone needs this kind of kit, but I know how to use it all, and it’s handy if someone has it.
I have lost track of the times I’ve recovered vehicles at this point, but I am always happy to do it and hope I’m getting more efficient each time.
I don’t need all these things to go off-roading, but this is what I enjoy and the way I have chosen to set my rig up.

Go ride some trails with some friends, get stuck, get yourself out. Do it again.
You’ll learn quickly how you want your vehicle set up and what type of off-roading you want to do.

Hinmaton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thanks Scoop! Hopefully we can wheel together again soon.

Rdullery76 is right about remoteness of being out west, way different that wheeling in a pay park or remote areas in Alabama and Tennessee, there’s a lot of darkness at night and no body nowhere near for help.