• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil out of the valve cover

Levisbronco

Loc.
Eugene, Oregon
I was driving the bronco today and had smoke coming out from under the hood. It was oil coming out of the drivers side valve cover breather(where you put the oil in) and burning on the headers. Has anyone had this happen before? What was the problem and how did you fix it? Thanks in advance~Levi

asabadin

Loc.
L.A.CALI NO THIEVES
in my case this happened and it was the valve cover gasket you need to solvent clean the whole area and run it in and see where it comes from. In my case it was only apparent when the engine got a little hot, how about you?

OP
OP
L

Levisbronco

Loc.
Eugene, Oregon
Do you think it is just the valve cover gasket I need to replace? Or do I need to replace the gasket that is under the valve cap? Also what kind of solvent do you think I should use? Thanks~Levi

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
You need to replace the gasket that seals the valve covers to the heads, they are only a few bucks at your local parts store. As for the solvent I'm not sure what to use.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The vavle cover gaskets have absolutely nothing to do with oil coming out of the vented oil filler cap. I've seen situations where oil oil was being splattered up into the cap from a rocker but there should be a baffle in place to prevent this. The more common (and more painful) cause is worn rings allowing too much blow by for the PCV to handle.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Skuzzlebutt said:
The vavle cover gaskets have absolutely nothing to do with oil coming out of the vented oil filler cap. I've seen situations where oil oil was being splattered up into the cap from a rocker but there should be a baffle in place to prevent this. The more common (and more painful) cause is worn rings allowing too much blow by for the PCV to handle.

Yep, bad rings.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) I have seen this on the chev's they plug up the oil return holes in the head's and make a mess. To fix just pull valve cover and use a coat hanger and clean the drain holes also make sure that the oil separator in the valve cover is clean. And if you have the cheap chrome valve covers get some new ones. And as was said the PCV valve good luck. %) %) %) Bill :p %) :cool:

OP
OP
L

Levisbronco

Loc.
Eugene, Oregon
Sooooooooo.......How hard is it to replace the rings or should this be going to a mechanic? How much do you think it will run?Thanks~Levi

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Rings would also have smoke out the pipes on acceleration or up a hill.

Concentrate on the PCV system if you don't have smoke out the pipes. PCV valves are available for partially open systems (open element air cleaner with filtered breather oil cap and pcv valve plumbed to carb base) and closed systems (closed oil cap with tube to closed air cleaner with pcv vlave plumbed to carb base). Mix these valves up and you can have a mess.

Mine is open so I changed to a Hi Po 66 Mustang PCV valve. Closed is stone stock with your year of Bronco. I had a few valves laying around so I experimented until one works. They have different vacuum ratings and, I believe, they are stamped on the internal part that rattles around. Try some different combos or years of valves.

All in all, key in what changed. I've had my engine get a bit hot and do a simple burp. Then, all clear. Who knows why it burped? Who cares since it's cleared up.

Good luck,
Mikey

blackjack

Loc.
San Diego
oil

Mine turned out to be bad head gaskets. I had a lot of blow by coming out of the valve cover. Turns out the passenger head was not level so I had them surfaced and redone and all is well now. Who ever built the motor didn't do a very good job. It only had about 15,000 miles on it.. Try doing a compression check first to see if you rings are good and if you have one that is low. that will tell you something and also about your valves. You can do a leak down test to see if you have bad valve seal as well. That would also casuse exhaust and or intake to leak into the valve cover and create pressure to blow oil out of the valve cover.

Hope this helps..