• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil pan dip stick.

dave p

I am concerned about where my dip stick goes into the oil pan. Seem to be a perfect place for water to get into the oil. what's a good fix without replacing the oil pan?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Welcome aboard the vast forum of knowledge on everything Broncos. 1st question is where does the dipstick actually enter? Is it a fitting directly attached to the oil pan or does it actually enter the block itself. Not sure about which years do which.

Randy

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
My 76 is in the pan and I got a 3/8” steel line at AutoZone with a fitting on the end and it screws right into the drain pan made it longer easy to find not under the original air cleaner . Ford dip stick the right length got at pick your part works great and easy to find did the same thing to the transmission no leaks

Attachments

• 16A2F29D-8A64-4CAF-BB0C-18E0B16F9927.jpeg
    16A2F29D-8A64-4CAF-BB0C-18E0B16F9927.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 27

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
The pan fitting could be leaking mine was made a new gasket and drill and tap the cast iron fitting fixed it

Attachments

• B072AEE7-0043-42C8-ABEB-E2694A1A94B9.jpeg
    B072AEE7-0043-42C8-ABEB-E2694A1A94B9.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
D

dave p

Sorry did not explain that very well. my 1970 pan does not have thread it just slides in. Its not leaking oil, but I am worried about stuff getting past the dip stick. I like the threads on the previous pic. Is there any where I can buy that and rivet in in. or even a new oil pan. I tried downloading pics but cant figure out how to do that either. Thanks for all the help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Oil will leak out before water will get in. It's really a non-issue. I know of new cars and trucks today that have pressed in vents that don't leak either way. You are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
so you made that fitting or made it yourself?
Typically it is just a matter of drilling out the rivets and replacing the gasket. No new oil pan fitting, just resealing the existing one to the pan. I've seen people make new gaskets, just use RTV, and in one case got a torch and brazed the cast dipstick base to the side of the pan. Lots of different ways of doing this.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Typically it is just a matter of drilling out the rivets and replacing the gasket. No new oil pan fitting, just resealing the existing one to the pan. I've seen people make new gaskets, just use RTV, and in one case got a torch and brazed the cast dipstick base to the side of the pan. Lots of different ways of doing this.
Yes just drill out the revits and I used a #27 drill bit and pan head bolts 1/4 -28 thread 1/2 long and cut out a new gasket 3/8 fuel line with fitting screw right into the cast iron in the oil pan .

OP
OP
D

dave p

The cast iron 4 bolt plate inside the oil pan is original bronco I just blasted it clean I think later pans were screw in not slip in
what year is your oil pan? did they put thread in all years? If so that's a easy fix< thanks for the help.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Here is how I did my 72. As stated, pulling the oil pan would be the hardest part of this mod. Drilled out the dipstick boss and threaded it with a pipe thread die and tack welded some nuts inside and bolted the boss to the pan. Works well.

Attachments

• dipstick2.JPG
    dipstick2.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 27
  • dipstick3.JPG
    dipstick3.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 27
  • dipstick4.JPG
    dipstick4.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 27
  • dipstick6.JPG
    dipstick6.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 29
  • dipstick7.JPG
    dipstick7.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 28
  • dipstick8.JPG
    dipstick8.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
D

dave p

Nice
Here is how I did my 72. As stated, pulling the oil pan would be the hardest part of this mod. Drilled out the dipstick boss and threaded it with a pipe thread die and tack welded some nuts inside and bolted the boss to the pan. Works well.

OP
OP
D

dave p

Nice work I don't have the bulk round metal part. But I bet I could make one with a pipe nipple. nice work. I would post pics but cant figure out how. Thanks for the help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
FYI, when you start playing with the dipstick tube, you have to pay attention to the dipstick as well. The lengths are a matched pair. The tip of the dipstick (actually the low and full lines) need to be at the correct altitude in the oil pan. If you end up changing the length of the top of the dipstick tube you will change the height at the bottom of the stick. And the marks will no longer be correct.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
FYI, when you start playing with the dipstick tube, you have to pay attention to the dipstick as well. The lengths are a matched pair. The tip of the dipstick (actually the low and full lines) need to be at the correct altitude in the oil pan. If you end up changing the length of the top of the dipstick tube you will change the height at the bottom of the stick. And the marks will no longer be correct.
I've had to sort out wrong dipstick lengths a couple of times. Here's what I did. Park on level ground. Do an oil change, fill it per the manual, but leave it 1 quart low. Run the engine to fill all passageways & the filter, & to warm everything up. Allow it to sit & drain down for awhile. Use the dipstick & mark the low line. Add the last quart, allow it to run down to the pan for awhile, then mark the full line. If it's cold you could run the engine again to warm all the oil so it drains well before marking the full line.