• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pan for 1968 302

Injustice

Loc.
Hampton, NH
I have a rebuilt 302 from a mustang but the new pan I have does not have a dip stick tube on the outside of the pan. I am looking to find out if the newer pans from the 1985 Bronco 351W motor with fit the 302. I cant use the dipstick tube that goes through the timing chain cover. Any help would be appreciated.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What year mustang engine do you have? Starting early in the 80's the dipstick tube goes through the block on the drivers side just above the oil pan rail. Either use this or there will be a hole spraying oil everywhere.

OK, so you have an early block without the hole. Maybe, we don't know, didn't provide enough information up front. Now another question is what pan do you have? Those early mustang engines ran a front sump pan, that won't work in a Bronco chassis. Best to find a Bronco oil pan with a dipstick at this point. Really hard to guess at what you need since we know so little about what parts you actually have.

But you did ask a specific question I can answer. Will a 351 pan work on a 302 block. That is easy, NO. The bearings on the 351 are larger, the rear main bearing is larger, the pan has a larger radius to match that larger cap. All the bolts will bolt the pan in place, that isn't a problem. The gap you can stick finger in at the back of the pan is the problem.

So what year 302 are you working with?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Oil pans are designed for the chassis/vehicle. You need an early Bronco V8 oil pan. 289s and 302s were the only V8s and both take the same pans. The dip stick hole in the front of the timing chain cover will have to be plugged on early Mustang small blocks, because EB pans have the dip stick in the pan.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I faced the same issue with mine. I bought a rebuilt 302 for a Mustang. Had to change the timing cover, oil pan. I bought this (I know, expensive) for the oil pan. There are some kits out there I found later, but I am happy with what I ended up with. I like the added oil capacity.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-30501/overview/

And I bought the high volume oil pump and the stainless dip stick also shown on the right side of that web page. And I had to buy a new oil pickup because you need to be picking up oil from the rear of the oil pan. The dip stick I am not sure I am totally happy with. Only because the position of the dip stick from the pan is very close to my headers. I wonder if the heat is going to hurt the dip stick assembly over time. And my oil is so clean right now I really cannot see the oil on the small dipstick rod. I have to lay the rod on a piece of paper to see where the oil is. Once the engine has some run time that problem will go away.

Pretty sure this is the pickup tube I bought to get the oil from the rear of the pan. Bolted to the pump fine. And I had to remove two main bearing cap bolts and swap them so the cap bolt with stud was in the right location to bolt to the pickup tube support bracket. Just meant putting the torque wrench on the main bolts to make sure they got torqued back to spec. A tiny bit of bending of the tube might have been required so the pickup tube was not hitting (touching) the bottom of the oil pan.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-18430/overview/make/ford

Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There's no reason to buy a new timing chain cover. Simply push a 3/8" steel plug into the hole with some Form a Gasket to seal it. Used EB oil pans with the dipstick and pick up tube are often listed in the for sale '66-'77 Bronco parts or ebey for about $50. Again these are designed for the EB chassis. So they are better than any other production or after market pans. The after market pans are over priced parts made for 5.0 Mustang race cars, not for Broncos. Useless bling rarely works as well as OE parts, while costing many times as much. If you can't find one in the classifieds or ebey, Tom's has them for $265. Not cheap, but a better pan and a lot cheaper than inferior after market bling.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I'm pretty sure there's an interference issue using the original style pan, while using the thru the block dipstick. Like another poster mentioned, plug the hole. I had luck using an oak dowel, shaved down tight, the oil expands it more. I remember that the oil pan on the 95 Bronco was similar to the EB pan. It might be worth checking, as it would allow you to use the thru the block dipstick. Be careful though, especially if you're hard on your front suspension.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
The engine I bought was on the newer side and the timing chain cover was way different than the old stock motor. And I had the old stock motor, so swapped out the cover. Can't remember exactly, but there was some issue with the newer chain cover that prompted me to do the swap.
And one person's useless bling is another's fun stuff. To each his own. That's why all this stuff is out there, to have fun building something up. I went all out restoring my Bronco. A few hundred was a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:

Unknown

Contributor
Might consider a 5.0 Explorer pan. I've got a 95' Mustang 5.0 on the engine stand now and will check it for fit. My original 302 pan has a slight leak around the dipstick tube and it's been repaired a couple of times already so I'd rather use the hole in the block on the newer engine.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256905

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The reason EB pans are different is the front differential. 5.0 Mustang pans are made to clear a cross member. The 4x4 Explorer pan is closer to the EB because it also has to clear the front differential. If your big on bling have the OE pan gold plated.