• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Pan Help

GSP9

Loc.
State College
I have 70 with a 302. A previous owner had the engine rebuilt probably 3-4 years ago. Since I got it, the oil pan has leaked in and around the push in dip stick tube. It looked like someone tried stuffing a bunch of rtv around where it meets up with the pan. It was smothered pretty good. I just got tired of it dripping oil so I dropped the pan to try and fix it right. Once I got the pan out, I peeled the rtv back and at some point someone tried welding the dipstick tube to the pan and it's not the prettiest weld job. Then they coated it pretty heavy with RTV. So at that point I thought well maybe I'll just get a new pan for it. I know on later Bronco's they came with a screw in style dipstick tube and that's what I want.

Is it just me, or are these pans kind of hard to find? I have found 302 pans with no dipstick tube, screw in dipstick tube but with front sump, etc. Does anyone sell a rear sump pan with screw in dipstick tube that isn't part of a kit? I did see kits on Tom's and Wildhorse but was trying not to spend $250 for a kit.

I thought I would just order a new pan and be back up and running. I would say the original pan is pretty much toast at this point but the only thing I thought of that might save it is if I smother the old welds with some JB Weld and see if that gets in there enough to stop the leaks.

Any other suggestions?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Or, you could grind off the welds, un-rivet the casting, and reassemble it with a new gasket. You'll need to cut out your own gasket from gasket material. Use screws and interference type lock nuts (not nylock type) to secure it instead of rivets.
It should last at least as long as the original did.

dcole1229

Loc.
long island
i just went through the same deal. My dip stick leaked and i have the engine out so figured id just replace the pan. I found some econoline pans were the same but honestly i ended up ordering a james duff pan. The pan came with a one piece gasket, pick up tube, and a nice looking lokar screw in dipstick. I ended up very happy and when you add up the individual prices the 225 was pretty reasonable for a pan ready to be bolted on

Billsboat

Loc.
Rowlett tx
For what it's worth...

So I'd say it debends on your wallet. For me, I'd take it to my local welding shop. Have them clean it up by grinding off the bad and welding it back together the right way and paint. (You will see this mod by doing the "search" on this forum).Take the money you saved on buying new and put it in to some other want, need, or update. Good luck!

OP
OP
G

GSP9

Loc.
State College
Ya......that's kind of the way I'm leaning at this point. The plate that is riveted on, has been welded but it looks good. The dipstick tube area would need to come out and be cleaned up but I think it can be done. Might just start looking for a screw in style dipstick tube and go from there.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I'd disassemble it, clean it thoroughly, and JBWeld it back together. After it cures, grind/sand the JBWeld down smooth, and paint it. Then red-threadlock a quick drain valve into the pan, and put it back on with a modern silicone gasket. It should never need to come off again, until you blow the engine.

jcasey12

While I had the pan off, I cleaned everything up then JB welded it,both inside and outside. Seems to have solved the leaking problem.

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
B&M makes a great cast aluminum oil pan with cooling fins for some extra cooling. It has a hole to bolt your dip tube to and has a place to drill thru to add a trans coolant temp sensor. The drain bolt is magnetic to catch any wear fillings. NPDLink sells them mail order. The other nice thing is its configured for AOD filters.

Good luck

OP
OP
G

GSP9

Loc.
State College
B&M makes a great cast aluminum oil pan with cooling fins for some extra cooling. It has a hole to bolt your dip tube to and has a place to drill thru to add a trans coolant temp sensor. The drain bolt is magnetic to catch any wear fillings. NPDLink sells them mail order. The other nice thing is its configured for AOD filters.

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it on their site. Thanks.