• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pan question

SeaVee

Contributor
So, we are dropping a late 80’s 302 into my 77. The OG 77 pan has the dipstick in the pan. The new motor has a Lokar dipstick in the driver side block. I am looking for an oil pan that will work on that late 80’s motor and fit the 77. Any suggestions? Or should I just weld the old pan? I’d like to find a replacement pan that fits and keep the 77 pan since I still have the 77 motor in my garage.
TIA for any suggestions

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do the late 80s engines have the one piece rear main seal? If so, is that compatible with the old pan?
Your best bet for overall clearance and correctness would be to reuse the original Bronco pan and the dipstick that comes with it.
Remove the Lokar stick and plug the hole.
Or leave it and check to see if it agrees with the original dipstick reading.
Next best thing would be to get the pan that matches the application of the engine, as long as it’s compatible with a four-wheel-drive truck. Meaning it has a rear main sump
So that would be either a four-wheel-drive rear, sump pan, or a fox body Mustang pan. The latter having the double hump, and perhaps being more compatible with the dipstick that you have. And still fitting relatively nicely with the Bronco.
No matter what pan you use, you have to make sure that you use the pickup tube that comes with the pan. Not necessarily the one you have now.
Do you have a picture of your oil pump and pickup tube? Does the engine have an existing pan on it already?
Got pics?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
You can either cap the pan or tap and plug the block.

Not hard to tap the block, I did it, easy to clean as long as the pan is off.

Might be less work the other way around though and interfere with headers less.