• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Pressure and Water Temp Gauges

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
EFI 5.0 engine back in between the frame rails, still lots to do.
I will go mechanical for the gauges, for the Oil can I use the hole on the back of the block or I should go with the front.
And for the water is it ok to use the hole where the sensor would go
thanks in advance

Attachments

• oilhole.jpg
    oilhole.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 87
  • OilPres.jpg
    OilPres.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 100
  • WaterTemp.jpg
    WaterTemp.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
thanks for the input anoblefox.
does anybody know the size of the hole in the back of the 5.0 block, tried some plugs I had in the garage with no luck seems a bit smaller than the front one,
also should be standard thread or npt ?
thanks

DJs74

Bronco Guru
My suggestion is the same but a little different... since you have two options for oil pressure ports, why not use both. I would go with the factory sending unit (at the extension) in the front and let it work the factory gauge and then plumb your aftermarket mechanical gauge in the rear / top of the block. I am a big fan of the rear / top block position because that location gives you accurate pressure as to what the upper engine (lifters, etc) are seeing. It also never hurts for you to double check one gauge against the other. If you have options... take advantage of them (IMO)

as for the water temp port position, yes - any port in the intake in that area is fine.

Good luck,

DJs74

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
My suggestion is the same but a little different... since you have two options for oil pressure ports, why not use both. I would go with the factory sending unit (at the extension) in the front and let it work the factory gauge and then plumb your aftermarket mechanical gauge in the rear / top of the block. I am a big fan of the rear / top block position because that location gives you accurate pressure as to what the upper engine (lifters, etc) are seeing. It also never hurts for you to double check one gauge against the other. If you have options... take advantage of them (IMO)

as for the water temp port position, yes - any port in the intake in that area is fine.

Good luck,

DJs74

this sounds like a good idea, mind you the fitting that came with the gauge does not fit in the back hole, the back hole seems a bit smaller, unless there is paint in there, I will have to check again.
that is why I posted to find out the size or if they are supposed to be the same front and back ?
thanks for the input

DJs74

Bronco Guru
this sounds like a good idea, mind you the fitting that came with the gauge does not fit in the back hole, the back hole seems a bit smaller, unless there is paint in there, I will have to check again.
that is why I posted to find out the size or if they are supposed to be the same front and back ?
thanks for the input

In hind sight and second thought... are you sure the hole in photo #1 is an oil port? When I read your post earlier, I was thinking big block Ford with the oil port in that position but I'm not sure any 302 ever had an oil port rear / top of block.

After looking at the photo, it looks like the hole you are pointing to leads into the bellhousing / pressure plate recess area of the block???

Just wanting to confirm it is actually an oil port and not a hole for something else.

DJs74

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That hole in #1 may be a Lincoln Versailles crank position sensor hole. Only used for a couple years in the late 70's.

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
That hole in #1 may be a Lincoln Versailles crank position sensor hole. Only used for a couple years in the late 70's.

the block is from a 92 mustang, when it was on the engine stand I could see the hole went into the block, not just the bell housing area.
this is my first ford build so I'm not sure, I've used a hole in the same area on a 350 chev before for a oil gauge…...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First thought is the '92 mustang got a used engine sometime in it's life, before you got it. Does it have a roller cam with the dog bones and spider?

There is another holes that does go down into the oil gallery, but that one has a pressed in plug. But that is covered by the intake. Are you sure that isn't the hole you are thinking of?

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
First thought is the '92 mustang got a used engine sometime in it's life, before you got it. Does it have a roller cam with the dog bones and spider?

There is another holes that does go down into the oil gallery, but that one has a pressed in plug. But that is covered by the intake. Are you sure that isn't the hole you are thinking of?

I think I will just plug it, see photo 1 is what I started with, the next you can see the hole you speak of which is covered and the the threaded hole farther out.
I may do the mod of tapping into the oil Pr extension bar to run both gauges

Attachments

• oilhole0.jpg
    oilhole0.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 20
  • oilhole new.jpg
    oilhole new.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
I got comfortable on top of the truck this morning, and with closer investigation I believe it is a dead hole, threaded about 1.25 inches deep.
I will keep an eye on it when I prime the oil pump
thanks folks
this looks pretty trick see photos

Attachments

• Oilpressureext1.jpg
    Oilpressureext1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Oilpressureext2.jpg
    Oilpressureext2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Oil Pressure Gauges

Here is what I rigged up for the Oil pressure, running the electric and the mechanical.

Attachments

• Oil_P.jpg
    Oil_P.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 29