• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Pressure Sending unit

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
When I tore my EB down the oil pressure sending unit on my 302 was pointing up. You know how that extension shaft has an angled end that the sending unit screws into? Well that was angle so the hole was point to the top of the driver fender. This would allow the sending unit to screw into the extension shaft without interfering with other items on the engine.

Here's the problem now. When I put the extension shaft back in (with teflon tape) I can tighten it 180 degrees further than the position it was in when I dismantled everything. With it in this position the sending unit will screw in but it is now in the way of the oil filter.

I cannot get more than a 1/4 turn on the extension shaft past the position mentioned above. If I try to get that last 1/4 turn (to get the shaft to point up again) I will almost certainly break it off in the block. But if I stop short to make sure the shaft ends up in the right position to accept the sending unit it might leak oil.

I hope somebody understands the issue here. What do you think I otta do?

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Not sure but you may have trouble using Teflon tape. I believe the sending unit grounds through the threads to the block. Teflon makes a good insulator. Your guage won't work. I know this is true with the water temp unit but can't remember if the oil sending unit is the same.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
::) ::) ::) Use pipe dope and put it were you need and let it set it shouldnt leak then good luck. 8) 8) 8) Bill 8) ::) :p

74bronc

Bronco Guru
yep, that's right. Don't use teflon on it. It is a pipe thread and shouldn't leak. Use some liquid pipe thread sealer if you use anything. Not sure if that will cure the problem you are having, but I would start there. Mine is in tight and pointing up. I don't think it has to be king cong tight, so i would go a little looser rather than too tight (break it off).

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Clean all the teflon tape out of the threads in the block with a pair of tweezers and maybe a piece of wire. The pieces could end up anywhere in the engine. Worst place could be the oil pressure relief valve or a lifter.<br><br>If you have an aluminum mount for the sender you might want to replace it with a steel one. The aluminum ones break off fairly easily. I got a steel one off of an 85 Mustang gt. I have always used aviation permatex on pipe fittings for gas and oil. Never had a leakage problem. I have always had a problem with dryseal threads seeping without using permatex. It seems that the guy in Asia that made the dry seal threads didn't know they were supposed to be dryseal.<br><br>If you use teflon tape on your horse you are asking for trouble when least expect it.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I broke the extension tube on mine a while back and replaced it with a 1/4' pipe nipple and 45degree elbow, worked great. I just used some permatex on the threads like 72sport.

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
Broke mine off during rebuild as well. I'm using steel braided line and mounted the sending unit on the drivers side inner fender. Works great and provides more than enough clearance for the oil filter and the Saginaw PS pump conversion as well.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
I agree with everyone here. The teflon can get into stuff and cause problems. If you get it into your sending unit for example, it can cause some funky readings. You can get some stuff at Napa that is made for sealing sensors/senders, it contains something that will conduct electricity.