• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Pump pickup Tube Main Cap bolt question

demo0211

I'm removing oil pickup tube off my old tired 302 and installing on a rebuilt 289. I need to swap one of the main cap bolts from the 302 to my 289 to hold the pickup tube. Can i just remove the one bolt and re-torque or do i need to remove both main cap bolts and re-torque both.

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
Very good question... however, my thinking is removing the one and re-torqueing would be better. That way you haven't disturbed the seating of the main bearing. Hopefully some more experienced engine builders will chime in for you.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No gasket under the cap. No stepped torque sequence in building the engine. One bolt out and one bolt back is fine. Taking both bolts off the cap and putting them back won't hurt anything, but isn't needed. These engines are not that sophisticated.