• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OK now I got a 351....doh, need some help...long

akforsyth

Contributor
So here is my dilema. I now own a 351W from a 92 F150. Managed to pick it up for a song and a dance from a guy who was cleaning up the stuff his kid left behind when he moved. Now the motor is in really good shape and was removed from a write off (rolled and bent the frame, etc etc). So I was not planning on a 351, but a 302... but fate stepped in and now I have to learn some more. I have searched endless posts and have become teary eyed reading about others 351 swaps, but I am having trouble putting it all together. This is where I wish to enlist the knowledge of others on this board.

Now I know I will need a body lift, and I have already decided to go with a 2" previously, so no big deal there. I was going to upgrade to a better set of motor mounts before anything anyway and I have a new set from West Coast Broncos. The hitch here is that they say they will raise the motor about 1". Now that was not going to be a problem with the 302, but now I think it will be. So does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Next issue is dealing with a motor I am not too familiar with. I have yet to figure the emmission crap that FoMoCo put on the top of the motor, but it looks like a grade 8 science experiment that went terribly wrong (hey isn't that how they came up with the design of that Honda box like thinng that one of my co workers drives?). I know I have to get rid of the upper intake and the emmission crap as well I will be converting to mass air. With mass air, I am unsure about how drastic I can build the motor though. I know the stock HP is not the greatest and the torque is ok, but would not mind building it with a little more for each. Anyone have any suggestions on a good rebuild (ie cam, pistons, etc) that will increase hp and torque a little but not screw the computer up so bad that it becomes a nightmare?

As for my final concern. The front dress was banged up a little so the water pump and timing cover need to go. The bracketry on the right of the motor (ps pump and ???) was already taken for another project. Is there anything that needs to be deleted from the front dress? If so are there brackets out there that can be used to delete these components either aftemarket or junk yard?

If you have read this far you have much patience and I thank you for that. I just figure that I have been caught a little off guard with all of a sudden changing to a 351 (for the past three years before I owned a bronco I was planning on an explorer 5.0 so I did most of my reading on that). Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

telcolineman

The mass air setup can handle whatever you throw at it, My buddy installed a set of those extreme motor mounts with a body lift and had to swap them out for a good set from napa, I believe the motor was hitting the firewall. Thats about all I can tell you, Good luck in your swap. Hope this helps

Amac70

ME
If you can find an explorer 5.0 front dress i would use that. I use a mix of mustang t bird stuff and it is very tight up front. To the point i had to grind the heads down on bolts so the fan wouldn't hit. and my ps pump pulley is about 1/4 away from my ps box. and my ac pump rubs on my hood.

4x4x289

I am in the process of converting to a 351w. You can find info here:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76812&highlight=dragged

I used the heavy duty motor mounts. They didn't fit perfectly. I had to grind and reweld them. Maybe they've fixed this. I sent them the info. I need to still modify my firewall but only apparently because I tilted my engine back a little to lower the zf tranny and 205 transfer case, and also lifted the engine 3/8 inches to increase clearance between my fenderwell headers and shock supports.

They say the explorer package works well but I had trouble finding one and prefer the saginaw power steering with a hydroboost, and 3g alt setup. I'm expecting to modify my radiator support to make all this work. I'm using a bc broncos waterpump and pully.

I can't help you with the mass air. I'm going with a commander 950 throttle body.

I've been working on it for a long time. I keep telling myself its a hobby, not a job. ;D