• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OK.. So here's a little update on the '76 crawler

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
I've been working on my new '76 project for about two weeks now. What do you guys think so far!?! It'll be a 351W EFI, C6 Auto, 3/4 ton full width, bad-ass crawler... Narrowed, boatsided, boat-tailed... Oh yeah, with a loud orange paint job too ;D

Last edited:

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Whew that's a lot of work!
That's REALLY cool to have the uncut look but with clearance now!!
That'll be a unique look!
Is the seam above it in good shape?

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
;D
Mark Troy said:
Whew that's a lot of work!
That's REALLY cool to have the uncut look but with clearance now!!
That'll be a unique look!
Is the seam above it in good shape?

The seams really aren't that bad... I've seen a lot worse. The rest of the body is what's bad. That's OK, I have saws and cut off wheels Yeah... I probably have around 20- 25 hours into it already!

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Why is there never enough time in the day to work on your bronco?? At least the time I have until the boss gets home... I only get a few hours in the afternoon to play around in the garage!!
Anyway, I started boat-tailing today... I just don't know if 6" per side will be enough?!?! It'll probably look better once I have both sides done. -E

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Looks like you went after the floor with a torch or plasma cutter with the tank and fillerneck still in it. Big ones on you my friend.:eek: Looking good. What are you going to do about a taillight?

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
yellowrouge said:
Looks like you went after the floor with a torch or plasma cutter with the tank and fillerneck still in it. Big ones on you my friend.:eek: Looking good. What are you going to do about a taillight?

No, no... I'm not fearless;D I used a cutoff wheel and and a pneumatic body saw to do the trimming.What you don't see in the pictures is the fire extingusher sitting 3 feet away from the bronco!! I'll try to find a set of 2"x3" LED brake lights and flush mount them into the small hole that's still there... It'll be pretty cool.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Broncoman - I like the "L" out of that!! Keep the photos coming.....your giving me some great ideals on what to do with "Quarter Horse".

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
A Little Update

OK, so I haven't been on the ball so much in the last few weeks... I've been busy gettin' engaged and stuff!! ;D

But... I did manage to cut up the front fenders, grille and grind the butt welds on the grille. The front end is going to get moved forward about 2-3 inches, and I'll probably move the back rearward the same amount. I HATE bodywork, so I just can't wait to start on the cage and axles (fun stuff!).
I'll keep ya'll updated. -E

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
The full cut look in the front contrast with the uncut look in the back. Don't take that as criticism because I'm jealous as Hell.;D

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
yellowrouge said:
The full cut look in the front contrast with the uncut look in the back. Don't take that as criticism because I'm jealous as Hell.;D
Yeah... you are right, I think it'll look better once it's got tires underneath :p

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
We stopped by a Hastings on the way home and there is a mag called 4x4 Builder that has a Bronco project going. Sliceing and diceing the sheetmetal for the uncut look but still have the clearance. Everyone beats me to the good ideas in my head.

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Latest...

OK, so here's where my latest motivations have taken me... I finished the grille (almost, I just noticed that I have to even the driver's side up), and the passenger side. Of course there's a lot more spot welding and grinding to do, but you get the picture. I still have to find "just the right" LED tail lights to run, but it's coming together. I also finished up boatsiding the body... almost. I still have to fab the new door openings; it's hard to explain, you'll just have to wait and see!

If anyone is interested... I'll be listing the complete power steering system this weekend. The factory unit is in perfect working order, I've decided to just build my own :)

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Any updates? Are you going to run a tail gate how does it line up with the sectioned sides? How much did you section out of it?

ARblackrifle

Loc.
Salt Lake City Utah
WOw to go from what it looked like on the trailer to what you have now is great work. I hope everything works perfectly for you. Any updates for us newbies? I love these kinds of threads learn a lot.

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Update! Look at those new meats!!

Here are my new 38" swampers... What do you think so far? Well, it looks like there's gonna be a bunch of hacking going on around those rear fenders. I'm not worried... It will still look cool!! And to think that I was thinking of going with 40's! I'll post more picks when I get the rear cut out to fit the treads.

Remember, this is what it looked like when I brought it home back in July! And yes, those rear fenders are just proped up on there ;D -E

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
bigpappa said:
Any updates? Are you going to run a tail gate how does it line up with the sectioned sides? How much did you section out of it?
I don't think I'm going to run a tailgate, just a spare to fill the void... I cut a total of 12" out of the front as well as the rear. I also sectioned 8.5" out of the rear fender sides, and I'm not sure how much I hacked out for the boat sides. Ummm, I guessing... a lot!!
I also picked up a C6 trans and a D60 rear. Now for the front end and the 205 case. -E