• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OK to use washers to move door back?

rbrnc512

My driver's side door is too far forward so I'm planning to put 3 washers on each bolt in between the body and the hinge plate to shift the door back. Has anybody done this before? Seems like it would work fine but just wanted to check beforehand. Thanks.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Should work although id make a plate out of sheetmetal to distribute it accross the entire hinge rather than on 3 small round surfaces. The washers may just sink into the metal and not last as long as a plate would. But in theory the washers should work just fine.

Casey835

If you move door back, you are also gonna move it back away from the windshield and open up that gap between window frame and windshield. So I would try washers to see how it goes first before I spend lt of time on it.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like blknbronco said I would definetly use flat pieces of steel trace out the hinge and make them. I think washers will put a lot of stress on small area of the door piller and might tear the metal, bronco doors are tough to get just perfect

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
one thing to consider is the space at the striker end. if you move it back, how will it affect the striker?
Sometimes it will take a simple swapping of the hinges (passenger side to driver's side. top to bottom) to make the doors line up.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Yes, washers are OK. I've parted some rigs out over the years that had shim washers behind a hinge with no apparent ill effects.

A full shim behind the hinge will look a bit cleaner and make for a nicer job, but there is no significant advantage structurally since you will be clamping between two 1/4" plates (hinge and floating nut plate behind the sheet metal on the post).

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
you can pick up body shims, and they make them that would fit the door hinge. They come in all sizes and thickness's. there made for doors fenders under mounts etc. There usually square or rectangle with multiple slots for sliding them in place without removing the door

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
Ive got washers on mine w/ no issues so far. I just got the biggests diameter that would fit next to eachother. But I do plan on fabbing plates if I need it after putting on new hinges.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Washers space fine but they are a PITA to hold in place while pushing the bolt thru the hole... I'm making plates the next time the doors are off...should be about a week as it's finally warming up around here! : )

OP
OP
R

rbrnc512

I went ahead and got some shims from harbor freight for now, and then next time the doors are off will also make some plates.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
You may have tried this but if you push the hinges in, the doors move back to the rear of the truck. The face of the A pillar is angled and there is some minor adjustment by moving the hing that mounts to the pillar further in or out. Just move both the same amount if you have a good straight vertical gap now.

yello75

Loc.
redondo bch. calif
My driver's side door is too far forward so I'm planning to put 3 washers on each bolt in between the body and the hinge plate to shift the door back. Has anybody done this before? Seems like it would work fine but just wanted to check beforehand. Thanks.

have you tried to roll dr. back, put block between hinge try push dr. to latch a little at at a time top to bottom, it will come back