• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Old School Warn Winch - Help (rebuild motor?)

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Took my winch apart and it looks like the motor needs to be rebuilt. Where the positive bolt enters the case the copper leads are broken off and the wires going to the brushes look pretty worn. I don't know much about electric motors. Does anyone know how or where I can get this rebuilt. Looking for the best cost option.

Attachments

• winch.jpg
    winch.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 36

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Warn still has parts and the rebuild instructions on their site.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was told this is the company that does the rebuilds

DSI Distributing
1-800-374-8028

BroncoBrother

Loc.
Sandy, UT
I've also heard that a reverse rotation starter motor will server as an excellent replacement. I have that exact same winch and just had it completely rebuild by the local Warn dealer, it wasn't that expensive and they did an outstanding job.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Mine must be older than "old school" cuz the Warn site doesnt show it.
Model # 5687
Serial # 33734
Bummer. Its kind of a cool winch and I wouldnt mind getting it back in working order

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even if Warn doesn't have the parts for it find a good "electric motor service shop", they will have what you need.

knack

Contributor
Any electric motor rebuilder should be able to help you out. Ask someone who does industrial maintenance or your local HVAC shop where they take their motors for repair.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
My issue isnt so much with the motor as it is with other various parts. Mine was in a barn fire, and even though the bronco didnt catch on fire, the heat melted some stuff. The coating on the operating cables melted and other stuff needs to be replaced. The motor could be fine for all I know but I need to fix a few things before I can find out. Might be a fun project to tear it apart and see what I can do to get it working properly

ransil

Bronco Guru
Find a local starter /alternator shop that should be able to do something with it.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Got a quote of $120 to rebuild the motor. How do I know if my cable is still good? It's faded/oxidized in color but not frayed at all. The outside rollers on the fairlead are frozen up, think I need to replace it. And what about oil on this model?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I once had one of those old Warn Bellview winches. Mine outlived a handful of ranch trucks before I got it. Motor was rebuilt at some local electrical shop my uncle once did business with. They specalized in starters and alternators.

I found it with gear oil in it, that is what I refilled it with.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Find a local starter /alternator shop that should be able to do something with it.

That's what I did with my old Ramsey winch. It is nothing but a starter anyway.They said mine was not worth rebuilding and sold me a new motor. I think around a $100. I rebuilt mine winch completely. Not a hard job.

Oatmeal

I have one of those "old skool" winches on my Bronco and it has gotten me (and others) out of many a jamb over the years. As an earlier poster mentioned, it's called a "Belleview" Here's some (hopefully) useful info: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/oldwarn.php -----------Hans