• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One key for doors, ignition, and glove box?

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
Title says it all. I know some of the vendors offer the kit for the doors and ignition, but does anyone have a kit or a way to get the factory glove box to match too?

I don't need it for my current project, but would be even better if you could have it for the hard top hatch too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
Cool, so maybe I could order the door and ignition set since I need new ones anyway and then get a locksmith to match the glove box to that key.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
From the factory the doors and ignition were one key and the liftgate and glove box were the other.

To get the three you're seeking to match would be a custom job by a locksmith.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've attempted the same task and learned some interesting twists. The lift gate handle and glove box use the same key from the factory. Both of these locks are very hard to set up to match a different key than the original. On the other hand the ignition and door locks are easy to set up for any single side Ford key. I've done this many times. To set all 5 to work with the same key pattern would be difficult without new guts in the locks. The keys for the glove box/lift gate locks have a groove further from the smooth edge than the ignition/door key. A clean working original lift gate handle has become hard to find, so is a matching glove box lock. The lock smiths in my area had no way to work around the problem.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
It is possible to get a lift gate lock that matches an ignition/door lock key. For instance, the ignition and door key on my 71 actually work in the lift gate lock of our '76. Been considering swapping lift gate handles just because.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
As I pointed out the glove box/lift gate key is a different blank than the door/ignition key. When the keys and locks are badly worn they may insert and turn, but by then,your house key may work too. When the keys and locks are new or like new, they won't even let you insert the key.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
My locksmith didn't have any problems..just simply re-pinned. ?:?

He did say there are some new key blanks that are cut incorrectly. He showed me two off his shelf side by side that were different brands. He made sure when he cut a spare key to use the correct one, as the first one he cut did not work correctly.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My keys are the original, made by Ford and the bottom v groove is .11" from the straight edge on the glove box/lift gate key and .07" on the door/ignition key. They're not intended to fit in the same key holes. As said tho these OE locks are 40 yrs old and locks get sloppy with wear.