• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One Person Body Lift?

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
can one person install a body lift alone? Is it even possible given the location of the middle mount?

getfuzzy

Yes I did my 2" body lift alone. you just need the right jacks and stands.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sure can just a couple of jacks to even up the lifting of the body as even as possible. But its always better to have some extra help.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I do all my stuff alone. A body lift would not be too much trouble.

Fitz24

Bronco Guru
Did mine alone. Used a floor jack with block under rocker. Did one side at a time. Other common issues to deal with are the steering column, shifter linkage, and radiator/fan alignment, filler hoses, and shifter clearance at floor opening.

If you have everything planned for all issues, it can be done in half a day or less depending on available tools (air helps). If you still have original body mounts, have a saws-all with metal blades or some other means to cut them out. Read some of the posts on here for ideas. The old body mounts can be the toughest part of the job.

Good luck, its worth the time and effort.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I did mine with the help of a good friend and my son. I could have done it alone, but where is the fun in that ;D

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Oh yeah, an air hammer with a chisel to cut the rubber off the bushing first, makes cutting the mount much easier.

BCH BRCO

Do not want to hi-jack the post (no pun intended) but did any of you go beyond the body lift and block up the body so you could better access the frame and underbody to remove surface rust and then paint the frame and U/B???

BCH BRCO

brian72

Early Bronco Student
use the 2x4 to be lifted in the middle by the jack - will lift both sides at same time...

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
What they all said, but watch the fan in the shroud. When I was done with changing out my bushings I noticed some nice notch's in the shroud where the fan was digging as I was jacking up the sides.

gpete

can one person install a body lift alone? Is it even possible given the location of the middle mount?
I done mine in the parking lot at the apartment complex where i lived with a few jack stands, jack and a swawzall if you have a manual clutch you have to change the clutch rod.

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Do not want to hi-jack the post (no pun intended) but did any of you go beyond the body lift and block up the body so you could better access the frame and underbody to remove surface rust and then paint the frame and U/B???

BCH BRCO

I basically am doing a full resto, in luding a body lift. I have been able to do all the work by myself. Not saying I have not had help, just that everything that has been done, was set up in a way that one person could do it.

I used my roll bar to strap come-alongs to, then lifted the body off, sand blasted and por15'd the underside. As well as the frame. Then put the body back on, lowered it down, onto the body lift. I was also able to pic it from one side to "roll" the body for easier access while painting the underside.

IMG_02021.jpg

1238803928.jpg

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I took my whole body off in the back yard with a floor jack and 2 hi-lifts by myself. I wouldn't think body lifts would be that hard.