• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

one post car lift?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Interesting solution in search of a problem.

Having used lots of hoists over the years that is about as far on the bottom as I would ask for. My favorite is a 2-post in ground air over oil. They still make them. Not as common as they once were. Requires cutting a big hole in the slab and digging down. A couple of the above ground hoist manufacturers have it rumored that they are outlawed, they are not. Nice part about an inground is there is no post in the way when they are down. And the posts are off to the sides when they are up.

Another thing to think about is a Bronco does not fit on a normal hoist very well. A 4-post drive on works pretty good until you need suspension or tire work done. But are pretty sweet of axle work as they make a huge work bench at about the perfect level. Just need the optional jacks for the hoist, and you are starting to spend big coin at that point.

01JLH

My bronco wouldn't find itself on anything that lifted and was not properly secured to the floor. That is a tragedy waiting to happen. I hope i am commenting on the one that you are referring to. The link shows me one that resembles a pallet jack, just with a post. Has rollers like a pallet jack and a tow handle like a pallet jack.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I would run away from that lift. You can get a decent 2post like an atlas or challenger for that same money. Safer and better under vehicle access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I would run away from that lift. You can get a decent 2post like an atlas or challenger for that same money. Safer and better under vehicle access.

looks like a pallet jack to me too. my brother just bought a nice 2 post off of craigslist for only 1800, he did end up rebuilding the cylinders as they leaked. still not bad

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have been looking at lifts for awhile now also. If your looking at this one for its mobility I would go with the 4 post lifts for close to same price. that one looks a bit sketchy to me. I have decided on a 2 post myself, now to figure out brand and which style.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I did a lot of research on lifts and finally bit the bullet and got a Mohawk. Only lift made in the US. The hoist rails are 1/2 thick channel and not sheet metal. Yeah it 2.5 times more than a rotary but I figure my trucks and my life are worth that much

2d4ef54be546c202542736375128511b.jpg
30400967a365497155a998b7231209f9.jpg

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I've been looking at lifts also. I Found a good one that's still in use. While I was there looking at it they put a car on it & showed me how it works.
But It turned out to be about 4 inches too tall for my new shop. So I'm back to the looking ...
... That one post lift was a 6000 lift .. Everyone I've been around tells me I want at least a 9000 lb rating..
... NOW I'm mostly dealing through a guy that sells & installs most of the lifts in this area. Area about 200 miles area.
.. I've talked with him several times.& I dealt with him while I was at the Stealership.
... He told me to not buy a 6000 But that the 9's or 10k lifts are the same Just depends on whose it is as to how they rate them.
.. He say that 6000 is just not strong enough. & I do have a 3/4 ton dodge diesel .. He said I got to have the 9 or 10,000lb.
... I had really wanted a drive on model .. But all the mechanics I've worked with & 2 shop foreman's & That salesman all told me I've got to have the arms under my Bronco.
... SOMEONE SAID the Broncos are hard to put on the 2 post lifts .. Can you tell me About these problems

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
& We just sold one at my works about the 1st of the year. I was a Challenger & was about $2200.00 & the tech likes it.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
PaPitt the problem with the 2 posts Is the placement of the front arms. Your radius arms are questionable place ot trying to get to the frame with the pads is interesting. Some will use metal stock and go from side to side and set the lift pads on the metal stock. Some will chain the arms to keep them from kicking out along with other variations. Many use them everyday and make it work.

4 post are far safer and easier to get on for the EB's, even your Dodge and Jeep CG will work better with a 4 post. The diesel will be what your lift capacity should be based around. Also the length of runway especially if it's an extended or crew cab.

Like others I started with a single post in ground, 2 post in ground, then 2 post above ground, and scissor lift alignment rack. Having seen cars come off single and 2 post lifts that something I can pass on seeing again. For me every thing but one car is 4x4. The car is rear wheel dr. So a 4 post makes more sense. Besides Getting up off the ground 4 times after placing the arms is something I would rather not do any more. The 4 post when pulling trans or t cases is much safer. Tugging and pulling on stuck parts is far safer. You can use the ramps to set jacks on the frame to pull axle housing, or have bridge jacks and lift the whole vehicle and rotate tires, pull axles, a shelf for holding brake parts, etc. You can get wheel kits and move them to different spots around the shop.

If you where Pulling engine and trans out of front wheel drive cars then you would want a 2 post. They are a little easier to use to pull the body off frames as well. Decide what you will be do the most and buy accordingly.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
For the price of that thing I would look for a used 2 or 4 post. There are deals out there, my dad paid $400 for a used Ammco 8K 2 post, the shop owner was upgrading to a 12K and wanted scrap value for it, we put new cables on and rebuilt the cylinders. Overall we might have $800 into a basically new lift

I have seen other used 2 post on CL for $1500-$2000, The rollers and pallet jack part of that thing scare me

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
No way I'd trust my Bronco on that thing.
The four post lifts might be a good solution for storage issues but I don't know if I have a high enough ceiling. I do have a very small car (Triumph GT6) that might be able to live on the top. Hmmmm...

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I think it is likey fine as far as lifting and for some general maintenance, but it would suck working under it with the legs and cross bar in the way.

I have a Rotary 10K asymmetric 2 post that works great.

If I ever build a new shop it will have an inground Rotary 2 post cartridge lift with a twist. Instead of having the lift arms above the concrete, I'd recess it further so they could be covered with removable steel plates for an obstruction free floor when not in use.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Broncitis do you have a picture of your 2 post lift..
.& Do those asymmetric arms work good on the Bronco .. I remember I had a Clutch put into my BRONCO the day before I went hunting in New Mexico & we took my Bronco ..
The tech that put it on the lift at work .. He was kind of nervous. But it stayed on ..
I have been a little nervous about the Bronco on the lift. That was why I started out wanting the 4 post drive on.
But the 2 post will be best for my shop.