• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Open diff gear swap question

TheBiologist

Ok so I am just curious. I have an 79 hp d44 that I need to switch from 3.50 to 4.10s.

Do I need to change the open diff that is already installed? Or more specifically are open diffs gear ratio range specific like lockers?

Thanks in advance.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
No expert......as far as I know, you will have to upgrade the carrier no matter the type unless you order "thick" gears. Thick gears are designed to work with the 3.73 and down carrier but allow you to run 3.92 and up gears.

Tim

MonsterBIlly

I have taken my 75 with a D44 to several places for quotes. All of them said I would need to get a new carrier

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You will need a different carrier whether it has a traction device or not.
The carrier break is 3.73 / 3.92

The way around this is to use what are called 'thick gears', the cost for them is close to the same as regular gears plus a carrier.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't think they make thick high pinion gears.

I needed a carrier for an open diff once. I remember it being really cheap. Something like $50 brand new. But that was over 10 years ago.

Another question, if you are going through all the work and expense to do a high pinion why are you looking to put a stock open diff in there? That seems like someone building a stroker engine, but wanting to keep a stock 2-barrel carb on it.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thought they made HP thick gears for the 44. I'm sure I've seen them for a D60 HP. Maybe not for the 44.....??

Tim

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I’ve searched before, I never heard anyone making reverse spiral cut gears in the “thick” option. I just bought a new open carrier for mine, still running an Aussie locker.

Mark

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not that it's cost comparable, but most people just buy a new limited slip for the gear ratio range they want and call it good. I'd throw a limited slip at it...probably an Eaton Trutrac, but that's going to probably run about +$500 over whatever a stock open diff carrier costs.