• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ouch, Hey that's been in there 10,000 miles?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Been chasing noises since I swapped tires with Crewwzin, The street tires have let me hear all sorts of noises. The latest was a whine at 50-60, Pinion needed to be adjusted, did that last weekend, Solves a loud whine but still had another, I could tell it was from the trans/t-case.
On my way to Gainesville Tuesday when i let off the gas to let someone merge she slipped right out of 2HI, Ahh haa, T-case. Spent yesterday and this morning at the hospital, with dad stable Mom wanted to go home and get some rest, she spent the night at the hospital last night, tonight is my turn. I decided while mom took a nap i would start the diagnosis.
Drain the fluid, and pulled the inspection cover, No metal in the gear oil that was drained so I ran my fingers around inside and pulled this out.

IMG00232-20110720-1540.jpg

IMG00231-20110720-1540.jpg

IMG00233-20110720-1540.jpg

Closer inspection and I could see that the idler gears only had one thrust bushing, Must have slipped out when I rebuilt it 6 years ago, and I did not notice. So time to pull the case to repair it, I know I have 2 more thrust bushings over at my Uncles in my box of misc t-case parts. Front driveshaft out, Check!, Rear Driveshaft out, Uhmm Gear oil on you hands + CV joint = OUCH. Laid there for a second, OK Did not hear a crunch so no broken bones, hand to forehead, WOW thats alot of blood. Out from under the truck, blood dripping away. Find a clean shop towel, have a seat, and assess the damage, No stars, no crunch, alot of blood. Bleeding stopped a few minutes later and in the house to check it out.

IMG00235-20110720-1848.jpg

2 bandaids and back out to the shop. 45 min. later t-case is out. Pull Idler shaft, Needle bearings everywhere. Round them up, clean everything and back together in about 20 min.

Now it is sitting waiting to be installed tomorrow. Had some good luck, if that washer would have gotten into the gears while rolling down the highway.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yikes! Chicks may dig scars, but moms don't! Wait till she sees that one. Whaddya think she'll say?
Hope everyone's ok (even you!) and can come home from the hospital quickly. I know my dad is ready to come home 15 minutes after he gets there, no matter how bad he feels.

Hmmm, maybe you should sit back and take a mental trip through what you did to the t-case. Not that you can't do it in your sleep it sounds like, but with all that's on your mind, plus a driveshaft that was almost "on your mind" today, don't let that cool 20 minute rebuild turn into another R&R for leaving something out!
Hate to see you have to lie under that driveshaft again so soon...

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I only removed the Idler gear, those needle bearings are a PITA, at least they were the first time, But some grease and a 7/8 deep socket make quick work of it. And before I closed it up I checked everything..
The first time I built this case I was all excited about getting something done on my build, and I am sure in my excitement I failed to notice the thrust washer falling when I installed the idler.

Still happy nothing real bad happened, Of course it was only in real danger of getting into the gears when it was in 4wd. Have done a few trail runs and never felt the washer get into anything, but from the looks of it there has been a few encounters.
Live and learn, Done a few more since then, and the D-20 is a fun build now that I have come up with a few tricks.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Rev, i thought that was just make-up left over from the last gig! ;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I think the cut helps. It looks good on you.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can almost make out the word "recips" to the left of the scar.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Yeah head wounds bleed the worst I think. Glad it was minor (both the wound and the t case ;D)

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Yea Viper, it smacked me hard, Good thing I did not get the cheap joints or I would have napaJ nI edaM stamped there.

Me and my son stuffed the t-case back in the truck,(Funny my son cussing the t-case called it a "cast Iron son of a bi!ch" He is use to working on his little Cobalt) got everything hooked back up, oil in the t-case and test drive. Now I hear nothing from the drivetrain except the noise from the NP435, Heard that on many a 435's so it is not a concern.

sgtdcoulter

Loc.
Peachtree City Ga.
Rev, glad you got it back going. That had to hurt bad, but you could tell the real truth about what happened. The Gator on your hat flipped his tail. Bull Dogs do not have tails to hit with. Do we need to get ya one?