• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Outer axle shafts hole not threaded?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am doing a chevy disk conversion on my 1975 bronco. I have a hole in the end of the axle but it is not threaded. I was under the impression that stock axles have a threaded hole in the end that a bolt and washer can be placed in. Do I have aftermarket front axle shafts or did 1975 not have this hole threaded?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not all stock axle shafts are threaded. Hard to say if you have aftermarket shafts you'd have to measure the ujoint and I would think that your shafts would look fairly new not 30+ years old.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I've never really understood what the bolt and washer are for on the disc conversion.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have a set of stock shafts that have the threaded hole, however my superior outers (and the Warns I've seen) are not threaded.

You might look for casting marks on the yoke portion of the outer. The stock Spicers have the spicer diamond <> cast onto them. My superiors have "Superior" cast onto them as well.

I've never really understood what the bolt and washer are for on the disc conversion.

The bolt and washer serve the same purpose as the spring clip that sets in the groove on the outer shaft, just beyond the hub. They can hold the outer axle seal against the inside of the knuckle.

It is a topic of debate whether either is actually needed. I tend to believe that one or the other is needed.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I ran into that doing my conversion and just went without. It's been 2 years and no issues yet.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The C clip or the bolt and washer keep the axle pulled out toward the locking hub so the axle stays sealed to the spindle. I need all the sealing I can get in LA mud. Probably not needed in dry areas. How have anyone with no axle threaded hole kept the axles pulled out and has any of you just cut 1/4 inch or so off the spindle with a cut off wheel while the spindle nut is still on the spindle and smoothed the threads before removing the spindle nut to fix the threads?

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The C clip or the bolt and washer keep the axle pulled out toward the locking hub so the axle stays sealed to the spindle. I need all the sealing I can get in LA mud. Probably not needed in dry areas. How have anyone with no axle threaded hole kept the axles pulled out and has any of you just cut 1/4 inch or so off the spindle with a cut off wheel while the spindle nut is still on the spindle and smoothed the threads before removing the spindle nut to fix the threads?

Yes that is what I have found too.

I am also wondering if it keeps the centerline of the u-joint between the balljoints?
I stopped blowing axle u-joints when I threaded my axles, and put a bolt and washer on them....