• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Outer Axle Shafts (UPDATE with new problem)

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
On the tips of the outer axle shafts on D30 axles the hubs are retained by screwing a bolt & washer onto the the axle ends.

Is this the same for the D44 outer shafts? I believe it is because the c-clip grooves are covered by the spindles.

If so, what is the bolt size? THanks!

Last edited:

mr.n

On the tips of the outer axle shafts on D30 axles the hubs are retained by screwing a bolt & washer onto the the axle ends.

Is this the same for the D44 outer shafts? I believe it is because the c-clip grooves are covered by the spindles.

If so, what is the bolt size? THanks!
To my knowledge Spicer never used a bolt and washer to retain the axle.
This is a quick solution to using a spindle with a different length stub axle.
It's kinda works, but not good if you see any mud or water.

I think it's 3/8", but too cool in MN to double check.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The bolt and washer are not stock. That is a work around for using a GM disk brake on a Ford outer axles. Keeps the spindle seals loaded so the seals work and the spindle bearings (and wheel bearings) stay dry.

The Bronco D30 and D44 outer axles are the same and actually interchangable. That is until you start doing the D44 big U-joint upgrade. I don't think the axle parts exist for the D30 (at least affordable parts) to do the big U-joint upgrade to it. Besides the ring gear usually blows up on the D30 before the U-joints break.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
7/16" fine thread 5/8" long with lockwasher and 1 1/2" fender washer. ;)

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Update 1/22/08

OK I was finishing up my D44 this evening with the help of Jabo and I noticed the hole on the very end of the axle shaft wasn't tapped at all. :mad: :mad: :mad:

So my question is will I be able to hand tap these outers for the 7/16" UNF X 5/8" bolt and washer that is used on the shaft ends. These shafts are Chrome-Mo's 4340, so I am really concerned with their hardness and trying to run a tap into the ends.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The bolt and washer are not stock. That is a work around for using a GM disk brake on a Ford outer axles.

And also for those occasions when using aftermarket locking hubs and the original clip won't fit back into the groove because the new inner mechanism is something like a gnat's behind too long. Most people though, don't even bother with the bolt. They just leave the clip out and go from there.

I've seen both threaded and non-threaded axle ends. Don't know if it was a running change or just something that was hit-and-miss.
Someone just recently said that they'd seen early (as in '66) axles with no clip groove, so a bolt was used. I've never seen one, but you just never know about these darn things.

Paul

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Thanks DirtDonk. So it seems the bolt is not a necessity, but will help protect the spindle brgs if used properly.

So the question remains can I tap this hole with a hand tap? ?:? ?:? ?:?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't see why not. How deep is the hole? Mine are rather shallow if I remember. Perhaps making it hard to do. Maybe a bottom tap would be needed if you don't have much available depth.

Good luck.

Paul

mr.n

Most people though, don't even bother with the bolt. They just leave the clip out and go from there.
A very common answer from someone in an arid state...

Yes you can leave it out, and it will work.
Just make sure you check those bearings, and repack after every dunking in water/mud.

Keep the Spindle with the outer axle shaft, and the axle shaft c-clip will fit every time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said.
I should have added "it can be done, but it just ain't quite right."

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
We spoke with Chuck, the man, yesterday and he said the bolt/washer setup wasn't needed. So I'm taking his word and running without it.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Its not.
The factory snap ring did a poor job at keeping gunk out of the spindle seal area.
Its like the crap shields on the stock axle shats where they meet the tube, All they do is let gunk in, so you might as well leave them off at least stand a good chance at washing the gunk out.

To answer your tapping question, it depends.
Many aftermarket shafts are not through hardend.