• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Overactive PCV system too much oil pressure?

f2502011

I think the PCV system on my Bronco is overactive. Is there a way to get it back under control other than a rebuild? I've replaced the PCV valve. The old one had quite a bit of oil in it and I think it may be going into the intake. Also I'm wondering if the oil pressure is too high. At cold crank up it looks to be about 80 and the lowest I ever see it is 40. Is this normal?

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the rings/cylinders are worn and need to be redone. The oil pressure is beautliful.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The oil pressure won't affect the PCV function. If you think there could be oil going into the intake through the PCV system, you should check the valve cover to see if there is a baffle under the PCV valve to separate the oil from the valve. I've seen some of the aluminum valve covers without baffles. You should be able to tell by just pulling out the valve and looking through the grommet.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
The high pressure reading could be a inacurate gauge or sender. As blubuckaroo said, Valve cover must be baffled. The two issues arn't related to each other.

OP
OP
F

f2502011

I know they are not related to each other, but wanted to group them together in one thread since they both have to do with oil.

The valve covers are the original ones and have baffles.

I just replaced the oil pressure sending unit and while driving it nearly pegs the gauge at 90. Probably 80 it's between 70 and 90. I noticed the oil pressure went up when I changed the oil. I'm not sure what weight was in it before but I did 10W-30. The previous oil pressure sending unit would max at about 70 and be at 40 at idle with the new oil. This new sending unit results in a reading that is at least 80 and maybe 50 to 60 at idle hot. I don't remember what the oil pressure was exactly before I changed the oil and sending unit but it was significantly less, maybe topped out at 50.

Packham25c

Loc.
Dover, DE
Maybe your oil passages in your block are full of gunk?? Pressure= resistance to fluid flow. I could be wrong, but high pressure to me sounds like a blockage of some sort.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The new sender could be off or you just have a HV oil pump. new oil will read higher as it gets diluted with gas and breaks down it loses viscosity so pressure will be lower.
The PVC system just pulls gases/blowby out of the crankcase not much you can do if you have a lot of gases/blowby in the engine as its a sign of engine wear.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
When my PCV became overactive (blowing out the vent filter) it ended up being 7 of the 8 cylinders had broken rings... ran too much AV Gas back in the day.....

You could do a compression test to see where the cylinder are at.......

OP
OP
F

f2502011

When my PCV became overactive (blowing out the vent filter) it ended up being 7 of the 8 cylinders had broken rings... ran too much AV Gas back in the day.....

You could do a compression test to see where the cylinder are at.......

The compression is between 120 - 125 for all cylinders I tested. Not sure what it is supposed to be but they were consistent.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
pull the cap off the valve cover and see if you get pressure out (blow by), if so it's time for new rings

GusI

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
What would one expect to pay for a ring job on a 351w? I have some oil consumption issues, myself.