• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Overflow area on Filler Hose?

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Gang,

A few days ago while filling up my EB with gas, I guess I got a little carried away and put just a tad too much petrol in it. Basically, I'm saying I overflowed the thing. However, I did not overflow it enough that gas came out of the main filler hole, it came out of this small hole under the hose [see picture below]. Is this some kind of overflow hole or what?

Just curious!

overflow.jpg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thats not supposed to be there looks like the PO drilled a hole to vent the tank problably because either the wrong gas cap was installed or the vent built in to the cap is blocked I would patch it back up with something like JB weld

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Yes you must fix that it will let dirt in when offroading and not good have fun.%) %) %) Bill 8) %) :p

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Ahh, ok, I didn't think that was supposed to be there.

So, I am missing a gas cap from my aux. tank and I thought, well, since one was gone and the main tank cap was a non-locking cap, maybe I could just hit Checker up for some OEM Stant locking gas caps. If I was to do this, would I still need that hole there??

Thanks in advance!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
No you dont need or want that hole just get the correct gas cap for your year model they have 2 types the vented and emissions type. here's a link to the stant website. if you want to look them up before you get there.
http://stant.com/plews

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
I really hate to beat a dead horse but I still have some questions...

Broncnaz, you said that there are two models of gas caps that would allow me to seal up the hole on the gas hose and still not have a fuel expulsion. I went to the Stant site but I'm confused as to which gas cap would work.

Here is the one I was going to buy:
11491.jpg

and here is what I'm finding in the way of vented/emissions type caps:
Locker.jpg

PreventCapNew.jpg

I really like the first locking cap, as it looks more like it could have come (stock) with my Bronco. The second, a big, black locking cap looks like it is totally aftermarket and the chunky plastic really doesn't "fit" with the rest of the body on my EB. That's just my opinion, of course, but the bottom line is, could the first gas cap pictured above be used could and could I then still seal up the hole and not have any fuel expulsion problems?

Again, sorry to drive this into the ground but I'd rather do something once, correctly.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
your first pic should work they have that model in both vented and emissions type the second type pictured is the screwin type that will not work on any stock bronco More than likely you will just want the vented type unless you have or required to have all your emissions equipment depending on the year I have the vented type on my 73 P/N 10580 you will still need to seal that hole with something like JB weld. The cap will not seal the hole

T

teknalee

you gave me a GREAT idea.. im gonna drill a hole in my filler tubes..and put a fitting in them.. and connect a hose or fuel line to both of them.. this way when i over flow (which happens to me all the time) it'll hopefully flow in to the other tank? hmm this idea needs a little more work %) i'll think about it more later!