• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Overheating question!

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
Driving my 70 Bronco with a 289 engine home last night I noticed my guage was reading much higher than normal. I tipped 230 degrees when I pulled her in the garage and steam was coming out of the overflow. After a little more research I noticed that it was very low on coolant but had no noticeable leaks. I know this is a bad sign and a lot of the time is a blown headgasket but I just installed brand new headgaskets a few months back so I doubt this is the case. I had been driving this Bronco quite a bit since and never had a problem until now. It had never topped 190 degrees on the guage before. I pulled one of my breathers on the rocker cover and did see what appeared to be white snot all over in the breather. So my question is how do you diagnose a cracked head or block? I have a spare 289 laying around that has some good parts on it but I'm not sure how to tell if either one of my heads is cracked/warped or even the block. Any suggestions?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check your dipstick is the oil milky? thats a good sign there is issue. Keep in mind that it can also be a intake gasket leak. Usually if the head gasket is leaking you get white smoke out the exhuast or the engine may hydro lock from water getting into the cylinders. Also refill your radiator and see if it is really using water. It will use about the same amount every time you drive it the same distance. Also if you dont have a over flow resivior then you will tend to lose some water it needs to be checked regularly or you will run hot when its low. White snot at the breather can also be from normal condesation especially if you dont drive far enough for the engine to fully burn it off. Although it usually doesnt build up that much as to be really noticeable at the breather.