• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

painless harness fuel pump

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
I am putting in a painless harness in my truck using HEI and an electric pump out of all the extra wires under the hood is there one i can run the pump up there off of, thanks.

eric0o1

which harness are you using? What fuel pump are you using? Are you operating the fuel pump with a relay or are you wanting to wire directly to it?

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i am using the regular bronco with switches harness 10113? and using a carter electric pump 8 amp draw.

eric0o1

There are only 3 wires under the hood which have switched power runing to them the reverse switch wire, the coil + wire and the electric choke wire. The only wire under the hood that could be used for this would be the electric choke wire (White wire with a black stripe #954). If this wire is being used, use one of the accessory wires (#5-8). #5-8 will provide a switched power source to any accessory needing power only when the key is in the run/on position. Take a look at the fuse block schematic on page 17 of the instruction manual. Everything on the left side of the drawing is switched power.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i saw all of the extras, I was hoping i could use something from maybe the dura spark wires or something along those lines. I knew you would be able to help on it though thanks

eric0o1

the only power source to the duraspark wires come from the coil + wire (#920). Check out the diagram on page 69 of the manual. That diagram shows the power source. What you can't see in the picture is that the wires coming from the starter solenoid are only hot with the key in the start position. i know none of this is relevant to you fuel pump wiring, but it may help you understand what unused wires you have.

markperry

Bronco Guru
the only power source to the duraspark wires come from the coil + wire (#920). Check out the diagram on page 69 of the manual. That diagram shows the power source. What you can't see in the picture is that the wires coming from the starter solenoid are only hot with the key in the start position. i know none of this is relevant to you fuel pump wiring, but it may help you understand what unused wires you have.

EricOo1, are you a painless rep? If you are that is very good customer service! Very quick response and you truely care about your product;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, main engineer for the new Bronco harness, as well as other harnesses/products. And also wrote the instruction manual for it.
Spent a great deal of time here getting feedback from the members for his design of the latest Bronco harness.
Check out the original thread here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119653
Grab some milk and cookies and have a read. We had some fun with that one!

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Eric's real good at helping out. I think he's got some kind of alarm that goes off on his work computer when someone types in the word "painless" here. Damn, I probably just set it off again.

eric0o1

EricOo1, are you a painless rep? If you are that is very good customer service! Very quick response and you truely care about your product;D

With help from lots of forum members here I designed the new bronco harness.

I swing by this site about 4 or 5 times a day, more so during the week and maybe once or twice on the weekend. I just type "Painless" in the search field. I try to help with answers to questions because I've got a lot of pride in this harness. I worked really hard on it and I like seeing it put to use.

With it costing a considerable amount more than other harnesses I want people to really fell like they are getting their moneys worth. I try to get a fast and reliable answer to those who are installing or considering a purchase, most of the time forum members beat me to it.

Last edited:

markperry

Bronco Guru
With help from lots of forum members here I designed the new bronco harness.

I swing by this site about 4 or 5 times a day, more so during the week and maybe once or twice on the weekend. I just type "Painless" in the search field. I just try to help answers to questions because I've got a lot of pride in this harness. I worked really hard on it and I like seeing it put to use.

With it costing a considerable amount more than other harnesses I want people to really fell like they are getting their moneys worth. I try to get a fast and reliable answer to those who are installing or considering a purchase, most of the time forum members beat me to it.

I would have probably used painless, if I knew you guy's were so good at responding too our questions!

Keep up the great customer service! I guess you really do get what you pay for!

JRED

I tried to wire my fuel pump to the afformentioned 5-8 accessory wires. I could not hear the fuel pump kicking on. Could it be that these circuts are not getting any power? A ground issue perhaps. The fuel pump kicks on when I put the wire directly on the plus side of the battery. Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just to make sure JRED, you did have the key in the "ON" position, and weren't trying it just in the left-hand "ACC" position, correct?
Just checking, since it seems that it would work with the key in only that position.
I assume you were, but had to ask anyway.

Could also be a blown fuse I suppose. Did you check all of them?
I'm sure Eric will answer when he sees it, but I thought I'd chime in to get the party started!

Good luck.

Paul

MADHATTER

Use the painless harness for electric fuel pump that comes with a relay..... the weatherproof relay.... its about seventy bucks...... otherwise you can come off the starter solenoid on the main lug where the positive terminal of the battery is connected to with a new wire..... I did that for a while too.....

eric0o1

I tried to wire my fuel pump to the afformentioned 5-8 accessory wires. I could not hear the fuel pump kicking on. Could it be that these circuts are not getting any power? A ground issue perhaps. The fuel pump kicks on when I put the wire directly on the plus side of the battery. Thanks.

It may sound like a stupid question, but did you install a fuse? There will be no power on any of those wires untill a fuse is installed.

JRED

Not sure? It looked like there were already fuses in those positions. But it makes sense that there would not be any in there from the factory. How can I locate those accessory wires in the fuse box. Are they positions f5-f8? Do I need the painless relay?

eric0o1

There are no fuses on those accessory wires when it leaves our facilities. Accessory wires 5-8 go to F1-F4. Do you have the fuse label that came with your kit? If not page 17 of the manual can probably be of some help. just realize you are looking at the back of the fuse block so the left and right sides will be reversed when looking at the front.

A relay would be extra insurance, but I wouldn't say it's absolutely needed. If you have alot of other high amperage components on your vehiccle I would proabbly suggest one, just to help keep from over loading the oputput of the fuse block.

JRED

That is the problem. What amp fuse should I get? Do I need the painless Relay Kit. Thanks alot. I was really frustrated last night.