• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless harness horn relay question

robs68

I have an 12 circuit painless wire harness part # 10108 that I installed in my 68 the column is out of a 68. The harness came with a horn relay Can I use the relay with the older style column. If so how do I need to wire it. I now have the relay hooked up to the horn /the fues box/one wire to the columnand one ground to the dash. I have 12 volts at the horn switch on the column.what is the best way to hook up the horn?

Last edited:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The horn switch on the column, should be wired to complete the ground circuit, to operate the horn relay. Put your 12v. at the relay and use the horn switch to ground the relay. Your don't want 12v. on the column.

Mark

OP
OP
robs68

robs68

I have 12 volt at both . does someone have a wire schematic for the painless relay

OP
OP
robs68

robs68

Should I have only three wires in the relay? yellow to horn, gray is power in, and black is to button as a ground.does that sound right?

eric0o1

This realy is 12volt activated. There are 4 wires in the relay:

pin 85---- GRY/BLK wire that will have a ring terminal on the end that is to connect to a ground source

pin 86---- BLK wire (#987) that goes to the column. this is the power activation wire for the relay. This #987 at the column will connect to the blue/yellow wire from the factory column.

pin 30----- GRY wire this is a battery power wire that goes into a splice with 2 wires (1 from the horn fuse, the other wire provides a power source to the colum for horn activation. This wire at the column will be GRY #953). This #953 wire will connect to the yellow wire from the factory column.

pin 87----YLW, this is the wire that provides power out to the horn(s)

If you would rather ground operate the relay to avoid running power through the horn button:

Route the GRY #953 wire from the column to the #987 wire with the ring terminal near the horn relay. Remove the ring terminal and connect these 2 wires together, this will now send battery power to pin 85 of the relay.

The factory yellow wire from the column will now just need to be connected to a ground source.

Pin 86 (#987 GRY/BLK)will still route to the column and connect to the factory blue/yellow wire. This is still the activation wire, but now it will just send a ground signal via the yellow wire you just grounded.

Last edited:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
This realy is 12volt activated. There are 4 wires in the relay:

pin 85---- GRY/BLK wire that will have a ring terminal on the end that is to connect to a ground source

pin 86---- BLK wire (#987) that goes to the column. this is the power activation wire for the relay. This #987 at the column will connect to the blue/yellow wire from the factory column.

pin 30----- GRY wire this is a battery power wire that goes into a splice with 2 wires (1 from the horn fuse, the other wire provides a power source to the colum for horn activation. This wire at the column will be GRY #953). This #953 wire will connect to the yellow wire from the factory column.

pin 87----YLW, this is the wire that provides power out to the horn(s)

If you would rather ground operate the relay to avoid running power through the horn button:

Route the GRY #953 wire from the column to the #987 wire with the ring terminal near the horn relay. Remove the ring terminal and connect these 2 wires together, this will now send battery power to pin 85 of the relay.

The factory yellow wire from the column will now just need to be connected to a ground source.

Pin 86 (#987 GRY/BLK)will still route to the column and connect to the factory blue/yellow wire. This is still the activation wire, but now it will just send a ground signal via the yellow wire you just grounded.

Nice explanation.

eric0o1

Thanks, This is where the printed circuit #'s on our harnesses can help alot. Sometimes it's easier to identify wires by number rather than color since there can be more than one color or a mixture of similar colors (like a gray wire, then another wire thats gray/black, while another is just black), it can get confusing at times.

OP
OP
robs68

robs68

Eric, thanks alot I agree the numbers are great especially since I am colorblind it makes it difficult to find the correct wire. I hooked up the wires up last night so the steering wheel is a ground and it works great. Thankyou for the help.