• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

painless pain

my73eb

Its nice be here. I have a problem w my EB it wont start. Just installed painless wire and it just cranks I had the ballast res installed too and that started to smoke so I am not using it at all.
I do have a petronix kit new cap rotors plugs wires and it still cranks but not turning over can this be the starter? Who else here has used painless and what did you do or maybe i missed something? any thing will be helpful now.

B

bert

Huh???
it still cranks but not turning over
Does the engine spin when you activate the starter - cranks?
If no, then you need to find out why. It could possibly be the starter motor.
If yes, you need to look elsewhere for the reason it will not start.
You removed your ballast resistor, your coil needs this part. Without it you will overheat the coil and burn it out.
Make sure you are getting fuel.
Check for spark at the distributor and at a couple of plugs.

OP
OP
M

my73eb

I called painless and the say you can run striaght too the coil with their wire and no ballast resistor also petronix says it can be done either way with ballast res or w/o one i chose with out becuase using flame thrower coil fro petronix and it is internall has restanic eand only getting 1.8ohm and petronix said it would work this way.
Today i am changing spark plugs, resetting the timing if need be be fore i try again.

OP
OP
M

my73eb

last night i disconnected any power source to my coil and motor cranks spins just as it was when i had power going to coil through res.
Painless wire instructions can be veiwed online at their site if this hlpes my cause at all I am usiing the blu/wt #990 it is supposed to be hot switched ignition wire that i can take right to the coil and ruing red wire of petronix ignitor to B+ on coil w/ blk going too - post. the diagrams say to do this with the parts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just so you know my73eb, a smoking resistor is VERY common. They build resistance through the windings, and resistance IS heat, and usually anything close to them burns. Most often a little oil on the unit or the paint on the body where it's mounted. Not good, but not unusual or worriesome if nothing is close enough to catch fire!
But definitely leave it unhooked. If you don't need it, don't use it. The more volts geting to the ignition system, the better the spark. And with the Pertronix hooked up the way you have it, you want full voltage to the coil.

Can you tell whether or not the voltage at the Blue w/white wire is there while the starter is cranking? If not, then either that circuit is incorrect or the ignition switch is going bad or your starter solenoid's "I" wire is grounding out. Are you using that circuit still or did you leave it out like Painless recommends? Is it a new switch or the old one? If I remember my Painless stuff, you've got the right wire, so that's OK. Besides, it should say "ignition coil +" right on it. Is that right? Verify constant voltage anyway.
And, you might verify that your Ignitor's gap is set correctly to the .030" (or whatever it is) that they recommend with their little plastic gapper tool.
Distributor in correctly? Was it running before or has it all been messed with during the Painless install?
If all the power feeds are good, verify that you are getting spark at the coil. Do this carefully as the Pertronix modules are more sensetive to feedback than Durasparks are. So pull the high-voltage coil wire out of the distributor and plug a spark plug into it and lay it near a ground, WELL AWAY FROM THE DISTRIBUTOR! Just to play it safe with the module. Don't ask me how I kjow!!!
Try those things and let us know what you find out.
Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
M

my73eb

Dirtdonk thanks for the info it probably was a little bite of oil on the res anyway, not using it so thats ok. weel I have good news cheking old post and some of my wiring I had a extra wire hooked up to thebattery sid of soliniod removed (for the ign mod).Next i tyried timing since timing light malfunctioned i got too TDC and checked rotor too see if it was pointing too #1. NO so i moved wires (rotor pointing at 5-6o'clock) Imoved wires as such starting at too the right of clip and going clockwise 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8
Now it sputters and cranks tries really hard to start maybe more timing now? am i going the right way with spark wires.
New switch included with painless, Ignitor gap is set, left out "I" wire per painless, and wire actually says "ballast resitor #990".

I think I got it all in there I will hit this again and all weekend if I need be. Thanks again EB guy reall do help eachother.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your firing ORDER is correct. That is if you have an older, non-EFI (HO type) engine. It's different for the H.O.'s
But, do you know for sure that you had it on #1's TDC? Remember that there are TWO possible 0° positions on the damper. So you can be at zero degrees but still be 180° off at the distributor.
You may have known that already but I figured I'd mention it.

Paul

OP
OP
M

my73eb

I will check that out tommorow. that is good to here i got the right firing order down.

OP
OP
M

my73eb

I GOT IT TO START
BRONCO RUNS NOW THANKS EVERY ONE FOR HELP WITH THIS. I MOVED WIRES OVER ONE POSITION "CC" AND IT WORKED I AM SOOOOOO..... HAPPY TO START ANOTHER PROJECT.