• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting a roll cage? Update paints on!

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I really can't afford $350 to powder coat my new cage, so I'm going to paint it for now. What is your reccomendation to paint it? What do you think it would be to have a shop paint it? If I spray bomb it should I use primer first? I'm not a paint expert so any help is appreciated.

Casey

Last edited:

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
I had mine done ten years back when my EB was painted and it still looks great. I wax it everytime I wax the truck they are the same color. I would save up for the paint shop before trying the rattel can, the longterm looks I think are worth it.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I did mine 7+ years ago and used some leftover black epoxy primer/sealer. It stood up nicely to the elements, though it did rub off where my left foot rested against it. It's a professional product so you'd have to have proper spraying equipment & a respirator as with any paint system.

You could spray or brush on POR products & likely be very pleased with the results; you'll want to follow their recommended application process, though, for best results.

If you just wanna rattlecan it & go, I'd at least put on some self etching primer before the paint to help adhesion, also making sure to thoroughly clean & prep the metal first.

Roll cages take a lot of time to do well b/c there are so many bends, nooks, and crannies to get into. Just when you think you've hit everything you'll find a spot you missed. I'd imagine a paint shop job will likely be almost as much as powdercoating....

tim70

Loc.
SF Bay, CA
I used POR 15 on mine first, then sprayed it with a can (both semi-gloss black). The cage did not require a lot of prep though, It turned out good and I would do it again. I did cover most of it with padding and that neoprene wrap stuff, so you can't really see the exposed cage unless inside the truck.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
I used tractor grade paint.
A wire wheel barely takes this stuff off

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I used tractor grade paint.
A wire wheel barely takes this stuff off

Hey Ryan... I'm curious to know what you used and how you applied it. I want to powdercoat my cage but if you're happy with the paint you used maybe that's the way to go. Did you spray it, brush it, roll it?

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
Hey Ryan... I'm curious to know what you used and how you applied it. I want to powdercoat my cage but if you're happy with the paint you used maybe that's the way to go. Did you spray it, brush it, roll it?

It is and Industrial paint. you can get it at PPG. Used a spray gun at about 35 lbs. if i remember correctly. turned out great. I missed some spots on my cage because it was on milk crates. didnt get the inside very good but the top is PERFECT hahahaha. I want to sand it and paint it one more time. Ill do that once i get the rear bumper and sand the front one down.

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Self etching primer and then Rustoleum Hammertone paint in your color choice. The Hammertone paint is pretty durable and very easy to touch up without noticing that you did.

or
POR-15 and then the Hammertone Paint which is an even better option.

Hammertone color choices: http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=29

Just remember all powder coaters are not the same, most produce a nice result but not all last. It's the prep work they do, proper application and curing so look into a shops reputation before using them. The worst part about powder coating is when it comes off in big pieces, I just don't like it on items that will see abuse like bumpers, rock sliders, cages it's your choice but on a trail rig I wouldn't.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just plain old rustoleum so it's easy to fix when you add stuff.

I did the same. You can also get rustoleum in a can that can be brushed on to keep overspray from getting everywhere when you need to touch up. I have done quite a bit of touchup due to my ability to keep my cart ahead of my horse.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I used rattle cans found $1 spray cans on the cheap rack at wall mart, it took about 8 cans to cover over primer.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
ppg epoxy primer. depending on how much tube you have in the cage will take 1/2 to 3/4 quart but it is poor man's powder coat... tough as nails. it's all in the prep with whatever you use. wipe it down with a good solvent made for paint prep. use clean towels/shop rags and keep wiping it down till the rags are clean. SEM makes a good etch primer as well as chasis paint. prime asap or it will flash rust and you will need to re-clean it all. Rattle can will work very well if you prep well.

suggestion: get the cage high enough to be able to spray from inside/under the cage(were you will be viewing it installed). you will miss less areas. light coats so it won't run/sag/drip. follow re-coat instructions on your paint or it will crinkle if you wait too long.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I used POR Whitecoat ('cause I wanted it white), and brushed it on. Went on OK, but that finish is so hard it chips very easily. I'm now wishing I had just rattlecanned it.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I used POR Whitecoat ('cause I wanted it white), and brushed it on. Went on OK, but that finish is so hard it chips very easily. I'm now wishing I had just rattlecanned it.
I undercoated one of my Broncos in Whitecoat then I put Pellucid on top of that so it wouldn't chip - so far so good.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I got 2 quotes to have a shop paint it today, one was $500, the other $350! I also discussed the plan with a bronco buddy hear and we came to the conclusion that I'd most likely be looking at atleast $100 in materials by the time I scuffed, cleaned, primed, and rattle canned it. So I'm honestly leaning toward powder coating it... I'm going to run it up to Durango next week and see if I can get the price down alittle, the shop just changed prices and their old pricing would only be $270 and the new is closer to $350... A buddy of mine is a rather regular customer and his price is always less so we'll see.

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
My only comment on Powder Coat... cant touch it up if you ding it... Though your cage should be relatively safe...

Here is a pic of frame I had coated a few years ago... the rear diff was rustoleum... its dusty but looked good.

Attachments

• Frame FS001.jpg
    Frame FS001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 63

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I got 2 quotes to have a shop paint it today, one was $500, the other $350! I also discussed the plan with a bronco buddy hear and we came to the conclusion that I'd most likely be looking at atleast $100 in materials by the time I scuffed, cleaned, primed, and rattle canned it. So I'm honestly leaning toward powder coating it... I'm going to run it up to Durango next week and see if I can get the price down alittle, the shop just changed prices and their old pricing would only be $270 and the new is closer to $350... A buddy of mine is a rather regular customer and his price is always less so we'll see.

Too bad you don't live near me. I'd do it on the side for around $200-$250. ?:?

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
And if you ever wanted to add to it and it was powder coated then you cant match it without getting it powder coated again

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
OK guys how many of you have actually added stuff to your cage? The only thing I can think of is to tie the seat mounts in but I've already figured out away to do that with bolt on parts.

And if I 'chip' the powder coated cage, I can only assume I'll have much more damage to worry about than a scratch or chip... Right?