• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting roll cage - need advise

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Steve and I have had great luck with VHT Rollbar and Chassis paint

can0004rollbarchassis.gif

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/rollbarchassis/

You can get it at O'Reilly's or numerous places online and won't break the bank

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
since i bought a paintgun last year i vowed never to rattle can anything ever again in my life. Rattle can paint just sucks and sometimes doesnt end up being that cheep.

Id wipe it down with cleaner, sand and scuff, the wipe down again and prime with epoxy mixed as a sealer then topcoat with a single stage what ever color you want. Black is always a good choice because either i have some around or it dont hurt to have some left over. Id like to try the flattening agant in it some time.

I have tossed around the idea of using up the raptor-x i have, on my cage, if i get around to it soon.

POR is nice if you dont have a gun and can only brush, it goes on nice and self levels. BUT the UV resistant topcoat brushes on like crap and look like shat!! You can get the POR topcoat in a rattle can and thats looks much better. The POR does go a SUPER long way, but the whole system starts to get knida spendy for what it is.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I'm getting ready to finish my roll cage as well as was planning on doing the following (it's a bare steel home-built cage):

1) Clean thoroughly with lacquer thinner
2) Prep entire cage with POR's 'Metal Ready' to etch the steel
3) Brush on POR-15 semi-gloss black
4) Top coat with semi-gloss krylon or implement paint or something.

Since the POR is not UV stable (from a color standpoint) I want to top coat it to get a nice long lasting finish. But WHEN (not if) it get's scratched, it will likely only scratch the top coat (that POR is tough stuff) and I can easily touch it up.

Anyone have any tips / tricks for topcoating OVER POR?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I'm getting ready to finish my roll cage as well as was planning on doing the following (it's a bare steel home-built cage):

1) Clean thoroughly with lacquer thinner
2) Prep entire cage with POR's 'Metal Ready' to etch the steel
3) Brush on POR-15 semi-gloss black
4) Top coat with semi-gloss krylon or implement paint or something.

Since the POR is not UV stable (from a color standpoint) I want to top coat it to get a nice long lasting finish. But WHEN (not if) it get's scratched, it will likely only scratch the top coat (that POR is tough stuff) and I can easily touch it up.

Anyone have any tips / tricks for topcoating OVER POR?

I've top coated over top POR with Rustoleum, primer, and sealer. When you do make sure it's almost dry. It might take 2 hours but you should barely be able to leave a finger print in it. Put the top coat on dry, let sit a while then apply it normally. I've done it many times and no problems.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I have POR-15 on mine, and it was etched etc. Works great and as mentioned before when it is still a little tacky I coated with the spray bed liner as a top coat. Works great and easy to recover to freshen up if needed which it has not. I also have done my Bumpers and rock skis etc with the same process. My rock rash is easy to cover again when required.

Attachments

• IMG00076-20100306-1730.jpg
    IMG00076-20100306-1730.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG00077-20100306-1731.jpg
    IMG00077-20100306-1731.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 31
  • P4010031.JPG
    P4010031.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 28