• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting an Atlas Transfer Case

BruiserOutdoors

Painting an Atlas Transfer Case, Is this frown upon? I have not seen anybody do it.

I have seen a lot of atlas TC's become very dirty/stained looking after being in a rig for a season or two of off-roading. Yes, I know, if I wanted a show rig, I shouldn't run an Atlas. I like to keep my undercarriage clean and pristine as best as possible, but also plan to use the rig.

My thought is to clear coat the TC to make the cleaning process easier, so I am able to wipe it down and avoid mud/dirt stains. What are your thoughts? What difficulties would I run into in the painting process?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Painting an Atlas Transfer Case, Is this frown upon? I have not seen anybody do it.

I have seen a lot of atlas TC's become very dirty/stained looking after being in a rig for a season or two of off-roading. Yes, I know, if I wanted a show rig, I shouldn't run an Atlas. I like to keep my undercarriage clean and pristine as best as possible, but also plan to use the rig.

My thought is to clear coat the TC to make the cleaning process easier, so I am able to wipe it down and avoid mud/dirt stains. What are your thoughts? What difficulties would I run into in the painting process?
Great idea!!! All of them should be painted. and you are right. In about 5 years, the natural aluminum finish will look like crap.

The best thing would be to take it apart and have the housing and all aluminum components clear anodized. Second best would be to scuff it with a scotch brite pad, and paint it.

A good single stage epoxy paint would work. Watch out for cheap aerosol enamels because brake cleaner is kryponite.

Anything is better than raw aluminum, and yet nobody seems to paint them.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I pulled the yolks and had one painted bass boat lime green and clear coated, prep was pretty easy. I wound up not finishing the project, customer stopped work and picked everything up, no idea if it was ever finished our how it stood up if it was.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

okay, glad I am not crazy for wanting to do this.

This topic reminds me of a similar problem, how nobody paints their master cylinders when they get them, and the cast iron turns to rust quickly. It doesn't take much to avoid that surface rust!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You’re right. I see absolutely pristine engine bays with rusty master cylinders all the time .
I painted my last new one on my’71 over 40 years ago and it still looks fantastic today.
Helps that I use silicone brake fluid in that one too, but it’s only a benefit if you spill and don’t wipe it up quickly enough.
Of course, the old one is going away soon for a new one, but that new one is going to get the same treatment if needed.

aisawalsh

I was going to have my new Atlas ceramic coated, I love the anodized look and I am hoping that the shop that has done all my powder coating will be able to do a clear like coating.

Jedeka

Contributor
Eastwood has Aluma Blast paint that gives an aluminum finish. I have painted may transmission with this paint and should help it look good a lot longer than the natural finish.

Attachments

• A916B5A1-66EA-4DFA-A745-BF869BA41050.jpeg
    A916B5A1-66EA-4DFA-A745-BF869BA41050.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 31

Digger556

For what an opinion is worth, this is my Atlas with 90,000 miles on it before I swapped it into the Bronco.
46324837182_1730b8b3af_o.jpg

And after a good scrub, I think it still looks pretty good.
46324837232_8a1b2b16e8_o.jpg