• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting Engine Parts: questions, opinions, mistakes, and comments...

PickleJar

Im just going to throw a few questions out, and see what people think.

First I am re using my old exhaust manifolds, they are in really nice shape. The picture there is the best picture I have of them right now.

I'm considering two options...

1. Leave them as is with new hardware, and put them on when I have engine painted and together.

2. Have them blasted, and paint them with VHT header paint in the cast iron flavor.

I like the idea of them looking new, but also know that no paint no matter how good will never hold up forever, so I was just wondering what you all thought.

Next question, I am looking for stock exhaust hardware and still cannot source it. Not all of my studs are bad, actually the main shaft of the studs and threads look great, it was the heads on some of the hex bolts that look crappy. I was thinking of getting a generic stud kit for an SBF and just seeing what I could make work by mixing that with my old stuff...Idk looking for thoughts on that.

#3 did you paint your harmonic balancer?

Now a lesson I learned this week, something I already knew but did anyway...

Don't get excited and impatient and decide to paint your oil pan (or anything) outside at 8:00 in the evening when humidity is 90%+. You will end up with a satin frosted finish that takes 2 days to dry, and then have to start your process completely over. I will not confirm that beer was not involved in that decision.

That said I have all my parts and pieces cleaned and ready to go for paint as soon as the air dries out as soon....

Also, earlier I posted about Evaporust and how I was going to try it out. I did. I tried it on my exhaust manifold bolts. The directions in short say to soak the parts in the solution between 12-24 hours or something like that, and I did. After that you are supposed to rinse with water. It did an awesome job cleaning off rust off. However, when finished you need to dry them very well, and clean them again with brake clean, or clean mineral spirits or something and then use an air gun to dry them, or you will end up with them being covered in surface rust. I know that's common sense but that is left out of the instructions, unless i'm blind and ignorant and didn't see them. The one cool thing about Evaporust is after your done, you can put it back in the jug and use it again. I don't think ill use it for anything more than hardware I want to save though.

Google Photo is being dumb right now so Ill post a picture of my Oil Pan disaster and how far my engine is tore down thus far later today...

Attachments

• IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
P

PickleJar

those other pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 111

chuckyb

Contributor
Evaporust really helped me this weekend too. Seems way better than the WD40 rust buster for soaking parts. I like the POR-15 products and have had good luck with both the POR-15 engine paint and the exhaust manifold high-heat paint.

Hotrodjohn

On the exhaust manifolds, I sandblasted and painted mine with VHT cast color, they still look really good after 500 miles. If I remember there is a heat cycling in the instructions say to do to make it last. I painted my engine with some color matched auto paint (with hardener). The heat doesn't seem to bother it at all. I believe ford did paint the harmonic balancer .

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
For my exhaust manifolds I used Evaporust and POR15 Manifold Gray Paint. I used three coats of paint and experienced some flaking of one of the coats, so I may have timed the second or third coat wrong. Manifold still look fine after a few hundred miles.

On the exhaust manifolds, I sandblasted and painted mine with VHT cast color, they still look really good after 500 miles. If I remember there is a heat cycling in the instructions say to do to make it last. I painted my engine with some color matched auto paint (with hardener). The heat doesn't seem to bother it at all. I believe ford did paint the harmonic balancer .

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
For my exhaust manifolds I used Evaporust and POR15 Manifold Gray Paint. I used three coats of paint and experienced some flaking of one of the coats, so I may have timed the second or third coat wrong. Manifold still look fine after a few hundred miles.

I have used the POR15 manifold gray as well and it has held up pretty good. It wasn't on a Bronco but other projects. Ken

OP
OP
P

PickleJar

Awesome, thank you for the advice

OP
OP
P

PickleJar

new pictures

so i repainted tonight, here is my oil pan and manifold...turned out good i think

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 48

PaveBronco

Did my old headers with VHT and 3 years later they still look good. I did fuel injection the same time, had a high idle lean issue that made the headers glow in spots, and the paint still stuck and no fading...the paint got one heck of a heat cycle.