• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting the engine while still on the frame?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I have the body off, but I'm not removing the engine. Any suggestions on how to paint the engine while it's still mounted?
I'm pulling the front dress for the serpentine upgrade.
I'm pulling the headers and power steering box.
And anything else that is easy.

Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• IMG-8883.jpg
    IMG-8883.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 83

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure you clean and pressure wash befor yo start taking all the parts off. Starting where your starting i would pull the engine.

ame

Out of curiosity if you have done all the work to pull off the body and other components why not take the extra hour or so to pull the engine, properly paint it and do the frame at the same time?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Out of curiosity if you have done all the work to pull off the body and other components why not take the extra hour or so to pull the engine, properly paint it and do the frame at the same time?

Like he said why not just pull it. Much easier to clean and spray out of the frame.

/\/\/\ That x3
Why not do it right?

pvtshaker

painted mine in the frame

took all the wires and most hoses off and used a lot of masking tape and aluminum foil,yep foil,works great and easy to remove when finished.good luck

Jfryjfry

To remove an engine you have to pull a few things that cost money to replace (header gaskets, exhaust gaskets, etc) but you’re already doing that. Just throw some ratchet straps between the frame rails and under the trans to support it and you can have the motor out super fast. Way better results.

Otherwise, clean, tape, paint regardless of motor in or out. Just more to tape up in the motor for overspray.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is obviously the way to go, but I have only a one car carport and have NO SPACE to pull or keep an engine while cleaning it and painting it.

jim

if real estate is an issue, get a cheap harbor freight engine stand. you should be able to slide it between the front frame horns with the engine on and still be able to close garage door. if one is not close to you, i think i got mine shipped in for like 8 bucks or so and used it to paint engine, trans, xfer case and 23 gal tank. when i painted mine (refreshed engine from an engine shop), i took short cut and didnt flip over to get good angle to paint. i ended up with thin areas that rusted through just from the humidity. i ended up pulling it back out to scuff and repaint properly.

Hank