• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

painting FORD letters

rbrnc512

I'd like to paint the removable grill letters and the FORD lettering on my tailgate white, but have never done any sort of painting on a car before. After I tape it off, I suppose I sand/scuff it a little bit? What type of paint should I use, and some kind of clear coat layer or something after that?

jlylec

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I want to paint the letters on my grill as well. I have a buddy who is a body and paint guy and he thinks doing them by hand might be the best bet?!?!?!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i got my stickers from broncitis on here. The tailgate stickers are 18 and the grill ones are 15. I got black ones. Contact him and see if he has white ones. Lmc has white tailgate ones for 20.

The ones i got from broncitis worked sweet! I just painted my grill letters with some plastidip spray. It sucked taping everything off but turned out ok. Ill get the real stickers someday soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Yes, I have white, red and black as standard colors ($18 for tailgate, $15 for grille). Red reflective and white reflective ($20 for tailgate, $18 for grille) and other colors can also be done as custom orders if needed.

All prices INCLUDE shipping to your door (some others charge $10-$13+ for shipping and handling on these).

I also have custom flag style tailgate decals ($25) as well which can be seen in a recent sale I had run.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2141658#post2141658

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Broncitis - I would love to get some red grill letters from you....maybe some white tailgate too!!

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
If you want to paint them white you would sand the entire tailgate with 800 and a grey scuff pad and spray white where the letters will go. Let it dry and apply the FORD letters. (make sure to order the letters in the vinyl for this purpose, Drew can get it) Paint the tailgate body color. If you apply the white in just the area that the letters go you can blend the color within the tailgate. After it flashes off peel off the FORD letters and apply a coat of clear just where the letters are. Let flash then apply 2 more coats of clear on the entire tailgate. If you want to totally get rid of the ridges of the letters you would then sand the tailgate with 800 and also sand out the lines around the letters. Scuff with a grey scuff pad and re-clear.
I did this process with my signage on my Volvo "private rv not for hire" and you can't see or feel the raise part of the letters. I think it looks better with the letters painted on but is more work but worth it. I wish I painted my letters on my Bronco tailgate when I repainted it a few months ago. I didn't plan on painting it til the last minute though. Hey Drew, I keep forgetting to tell you.... I need a set of black FORD letters :)

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Hey thanks for that link broncitis. I missed that one totally! Makes my black ones i got from you look plane jane! Oh is see you have them up in the vendor forum. Them are unique!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I bought some red touch-up paint and painted the old front letters. It looks better than the Chinese knock-offs available.;)

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Here's how my grill letters turned out. Pretty happy with the result.

Attachments

• 0911-parts2.jpg
    0911-parts2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 0911-parts3.jpg
    0911-parts3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 103
  • 0911-parts5.jpg
    0911-parts5.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 126

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I painted the centers of the grill letters with dark red model paint. Came out great. Will get a picture when I get them in in a few weeks.

kdaudt

Loc.
Zimmerman, MN
i got my stickers from broncitis on here. The tailgate stickers are 18 and the grill ones are 15. I got black ones. Contact him and see if he has white ones. Lmc has white tailgate ones for 20.

The ones i got from broncitis worked sweet! I just painted my grill letters with some plastidip spray. It sucked taping everything off but turned out ok. Ill get the real stickers someday soon.

Hey Minnesota! I'm near Cambridge.

turbotim2

For those that painted the grill letters, how is the paint holding up over chrome? I have never had any luck getting paint to stick to chrome.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Mine were already painted from the factory. I taped the chrome off with a special tape used for two tones called fineline tape. I scuffed it with a red scuff pad and shot red single stage on them.

jcpetrson

@Broncitis - I tried to send you a message and it said your mailbox is full.
Send me a price for white Ford stickers for the front grill and rear tailgate? Include instructions on ordering them.