• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting FORD Emblem on Grill

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Pic of grill

Here is my grill.definitely has been stamped into the grill from the back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 129

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
So back to this.was there 2 different grill types?one with stamped ford and another where it had ford letters inserted into holes on the grill?

Doyle

Bronco Guru
All had the stamped in letters in the grill. The Ranger, and some other option packages included the bolt on chrome letters, installed over the stamped letters.

boss

Loc.
Pittsburgh
What was the original color of the grill when it came from the factory? Was it white, or the body color on the base model.

ren71

So back to this.was there 2 different grill types?one with stamped ford and another where it had ford letters inserted into holes on the grill?

I have a 68 and a 71. The 68 has a "deeper" stamping than the 71's. The 71's ford letters are barely raised and it isn't from thick paint since the back is unpainted and it's clearly a shallower stamping when looking at it from behind. The 68 is about 1/8" thick and the 71's about 1/16", I believe they are both stock grills.
Anyone have more info?

1974_Broncowner

I purchased new letters from TBP. I thought they turned out well...any other thoughts? They weren't outrageously expensive. I don't think they fit quite as well as the ones that I removed; but close.

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
Ya'll think I could buy enamel paint and pour it in to "fill up" not just paint the letters and it would dry and stay put? That would be very close to the look of the inserts.

Thanks!

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
Ya'll think I could buy enamel paint and pour it in to "fill up" not just paint the letters and it would dry and stay put? That would be very close to the look of the inserts.

Thanks!

Yes, and if done right, works very well.
Here is a trick I use. I won't even charge you for it!;D
Get a syringe and use it to put the paint on. Works well and you can use the very fine needle point for detailed paint placement and touch up.

Last edited:

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Yes, and if done right, works very well.
Here is a trick I use. I won't even charge you for it!;D
Get a syringe and use it to put the paint on. Works well and you can use the very fine needle point for detailed touch up.

^^^^^ Nice tip. I went body color just to be different than the red ones. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 75

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
I used finger nail polish. It was $1.99 and looks fine. It even comes with a brush!
Is that an emblem or the grill? It looks awesome and I don’t have emblems so I was thinking of just painting the grill, not sure I have the talent to make it look like yours! Great job!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What was the original color of the grill when it came from the factory? Was it white, or the body color on the base model.
Hopefully you got your answer eight and a half years ago boss! But it was white.
There have been many discussions over just which white it was, and I think that has been decided but I don’t remember the answer.
The upscale models, Explorer, Ranger and I think all Sport models got silver (or the Latin argent as they call it). And some limited models like the Special Decor got black.
Don’t think I ever saw a body colored version (unless it was black) but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was just "liking" some of these then I realized how old they were! Oh well I liked them anyway.:)