• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting M1A1 fuel tank

mebco09

Just got around to looking at Wild Horses M1A1 I ordered back before covid.

Any thoughts on the procedure for painting these? It looks like there is a lacquer on them, shiney and clear looking?

In the past, I have had to use a lacquer thinner on factory coated parts like this, to get adhesion (if that is indeed what it is).

Anybody had trouble with paint sticking?

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. Guessing you could scuff it, prime it and paint it with just about anything you want. I would not think you'd have to remove the outer coating, if any, but be good to know for sure.
I'll see if I can find out, while we're waiting for anyone that's done it already to chime in.

I know a few have painted the skid plates, but not much chatter on the forums about painting the tank itself.

Let you know what I find out.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No coating you have to worry about. Just scuff it and paint it.
Several people so far have actually polished theirs to a mirror finish and have not run afoul of any coating.

Thanks for asking about that.
And thanks for buying our tank too!;D

Paul

OP
OP
M

mebco09

No coating you have to worry about. Just scuff it and paint it.
Several people so far have actually polished theirs to a mirror finish and have not run afoul of any coating.

Thanks for asking about that.
And thanks for buying our tank too!;D

Paul

I might have to look into that. Not really the look that I am going for, but it would look really nice!

Bronco4x4

You may need self etching primer. I use this primer on aluminum and white metal. It may be worth the research to be sure.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Stainless steel is very difficult to paint and get good adhesion. Powdercoating may be the best way to go after having the surface sand blasted.