• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting Roll Cage

HigginsHorse

I'm considering painting my new family cage. I had planned to powder coat, but wasn't happy with my options in my area. I'm considering all my options, Chassis Black, VHT, KBS, Por15, Implement paint, etc and some are sprayed and some can be brushed or rolled on.

How much paint would I need if I spray it myself?
How much paint would I need if I brush it on?

Thanks
David

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
If you go the route of automotive spraying like I did on mine. I used about a half gallon of base because pipes and spraying are a real BX%$#h. Nothing about it was fun but I wanted the green to match and no powdercoat was good. I even used an HVLP gun to cut down on lost material from overspray.

Attachments

• DSCN0407.jpg
    DSCN0407.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN0578.jpg
    DSCN0578.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 125

68Broncoz

Contributor
I am considering painting mine the same color as the body, however did not realize it would take that much paint.

That does look a lot better than gloss black

I also considered raptor liner black or raptor liner and tint the color of the Bronco.

I did this for the interior, raptor and tinted it the color of the bronco.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
POR 15 is not uv resistant. it can be rolled on but would need to be topcoated. it will fade.

yakelys69

svastano, I've been considering using my hlvp also, did you choke down the pattern close to a circle?

P.s. your's looks great!

Montoya

I was going to do all these great things with my cage...then I fully welded it in and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I decided to just rattle can it and it worked out pretty good. The nice part is, when I nick it up I can simply sand it and touch it up and it's good as new.

You do go through a ton of paint spraying tubing so be warned.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
It would take a lot of cans 12+ as a rough idea.

The last few I have just used the Hammered Rustoleum thinned down and shot with spray gun. Plan on several coats to handle the angles. Much cheaper and better than spray cans. Tractor supply implement paint is also a good option.

House

Contributor
Minutia Militia
A lot of race cars and trophy trucks are using Steel-It now.
It used to only be grey, but now they have a black option as well.

yakelys69

Looks like a good product but $30/14oz spray can or $240/gallon. Ouch!

nice if you have trophy truck budget.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I used VHT Roll Bar and Chassis paint on my family cage.
Took about 5 1/2 cans and turned out really nice and no runs.
VHT Roll Bar and Chassis has become one of my favorites for everything and anything.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I adjusted that on the gun to spray more of a cylinder vs a fan pattern. Biggest problem is getting all the angles so nothing is missed.

svastano, I've been considering using my hlvp also, did you choke down the pattern close to a circle?

P.s. your's looks great!

needsmoarturbo

Get a touch up spray gun makes for little overspray and waste, but it's still gonna take a lot of effort to make sure you don't miss any spots. I guess I would set it up on saw horses or buckets so you can reach both inside and out at the same time or maybe hang it sideways to start and paint the top and underside and then roll it to upright and paint the vertical legs. Not sure which would be the best work flow.

Last edited:

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Probably not what you are looking to do, but I used black "Bumper and Trim" spray paint you buy at any auto parts stores. It comes in sort of a satin black, applies very easily and uniformly. I did my tube bumpers, spare tire carrier and 6 point cage probably 20 years ago and it still looks pretty good, it does get scratched, but is more durable than automotive paint for sure and if I get tired of the scratches it is easy to touch up and blends in easily.

Oh and I put bedliner around the lower 1.5' of the cage legs to protect them from getting kicked all the time.

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

I'm assuming when ever someone refers to "cans" that you're talking about rattle can spray cans. So we're talking 2-12 spray cans or a half gallon of paint if I were to use my spray gun. Seems like a large variance in spray cans. Maybe the 2 cans was quarts and not spray cans.
I like what I've heard about VHT. Is it UV resistant? How's it holding up?
Anyone heard anything about KBS?
Snipes243: How much Steel it did you use?
Do any of these require a primer?
What does it cost to Raptor Liner a cage? I feel like this might be out of my price range. Is the finish smooth or textured.

Thanks,
David

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Spraying the cage was one of the most miserable jobs I've done on the race Bronco. Matt black so touch up is easy. Used a water based DTM paint, not a good choice when it's cold.
Powder coated the cage for my wife's 68. I like that way better. I can't imagine trying to get bed liner to look good on a cage.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I think I used a quart of paint. I can't imagine how someone said two cans of spray paint. Did one that way and after eight cans still wasn't happy.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I like that way better. I can't imagine trying to get bed liner to look good on a cage.

Agreed, I just did bedliner on approx. the lower 18 inches of the legs/baseplates where shoes hit it all the time and it protects from scuffing. It would look like garbage ,I think if I did the whole cage, plus its kind of "scratchy" if it was up where your arms and such would bump it.