• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting windshield hinge

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Was curious what order you painted your windshield frame? Finish interior with defrost vents and dash pad then paint hinge the very last. Or paint windshield frame and then try not to crack paint when you fold the windshield down and up to install dash pad?
Thanks

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have been told that some will paint the hinge and then move it as it dries so as to not have it crack out later...

Others have gone with the stainless hinge and clear it.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
with windshield frame down. install dash and paint inside part of frame piano hinge. When it comes for time to paint the exterior, install rubber gasket, raise frame to 90 degrees, and then "stuff" the rubber gasket as far as you can on both the right and left side, mask over what hangs out. Paint and clear the exterior of the frame (while at 90 degrees) and then roll back into its permanent position. after dry pull out the rubber and trim....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You have to watch the seam sealer on the hinge it want to fill up the spaces between the hinge pins. if you leave it in there it will scrape your new hinge paint. use the seam sealer then practice your dentistry with a small pick to scrape out clearance then oil the hinge pin sparingly then use solvent and give it a nice cleaning before painting. while painting each coat excersizng the windshield will keeping the hinge paint from flowing into the hinge and setting up the paint job as one pice.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If I had to do it again I would airbrush it. Tape it off when you do the rest of the truck and windshield frame. Then put it into place with whatever rubber seal etc. Then tape off the painted parts and carefully blow in the tiniest amount of paint so it does not build up thick on the hinge. Then do a single coat of clear. Then it is much less likely to ever chip.

ksbronco75

Contributor
Mine has a single stage paint job on it. Never had an issue with cracking. Paint job is about 7 years old now and the windshield has been down a handful of times