• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parked on hill , wonÂ’t start

Cohammer

Well cleaning garage and left my bronco parked in my yard on very steep hill for 3 days . Normally could reach in and just turn key and start but ran battery down trying and noticed fuel tank had emptied. Pulled back up into garage with winch and drained oil and left empty for 7 days ,put oil back still won't start and is firing like it should. Anyone ever had gas drain into engine like this ? Any suggestions? Has a 1966 289 engine with 2100 2 barrel carburetor

doran4x

Contributor
Sticky float bowl might allow fuel to leak through carb into crankcase. Mechanical or electric fuel pump? If electric then definitely it can leak into block. Happened to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
fill the float chamber with fuel through the carb vent and try to start again. you may have neutral start issues if you don't get spark. so wiggle around the shifter.

OP
OP
Cohammer

Cohammer

Will give it a shot , has mechanical fuel pump so I think I will take top off carburetor and check for debris and go from there . Thanks

OP
OP
Cohammer

Cohammer

What ever I did I did well this engine will not start no matter what i do I have even checked the timing several times . As I put finger in #1 spark plug hole to check timing it does blow some oil on it as engine is turned . How do you dry out edging after being soaked with gas ?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
turn the key on and check for voltage at coil + should be around 9 volts or more. turn the key to start should be 12 volts or more. for test you can run a jumper wire from battery + to coil + and try starting. if that works then check the small wires at the starter solenoid and or the resistor wire from the ignition switch to the coil can check the ohms on the coil and swap your condenser on the points, you do keep your old working points for spares when you do a tune up. the Harbor freight spark tester works OK and will show you if your getting spark.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if you a a tachometer disconnect the wire to the coil, sometimes they short out and kill the ignition unexpectedly.