• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PA PART FOUND......RAN-R1 3 speed 2nd gear (or complete trans for parts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
We are in the middle of a restoration and have our RAN-R1 at the trans shop being rebuilt.

It is almost done, but we need to replace the 2nd gear and we have not been able to locate one.

The smaller teeth (33 of them, which I believe engage they syncros) are what is worn on our original gear. These teeth should have nice angular faces coming to a point on the mid point of each tooth form.

From what I can determine, it must be from a RAN version, not a RAT or HEF.

Attached are some pics of the original gear and the thicker one from another 3.03 3 speed version.

The RAN gear has the narrower helical gear face.

The only difference between them is width of the helical face and the length of the inside bore.

The added length is on the helical gear side, not the cone/syncro side.

The cone/syncro sides seem to be dimensionally identical.

The dimensional differences are:

RAN 2nd GEAR SPECS:
25T Helical
33T Syncro
Gear face width: .906"
Length of Bore: 1.564"

RAT and/or HEF 2nd GEAR GEAR:
25T Helical
33T Syncro
Gear face width: 1.07"
Length of Bore: 1.704"

If anyone has a old RAN 3 speed and is willing to pull out the 2nd gear, I'd be interested in buying it. Or, if you are within driving distance or will be at the upcoming BYOB or any MEB event, I would take the entire trans if needed.

Thanks,
Drew

Attachments

• CIMG7580.JPG
    CIMG7580.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG7582.JPG
    CIMG7582.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 19
  • CIMG7583.JPG
    CIMG7583.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
had a trans in my shed Drew, will take a looky

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Surely someone has got one of these RAN 3 speeds laying around?

I had 8 of them on a pallet, but only one was the RAN version and it had water in the case which pitted the gear I needed making it unusable. The others were RAN and HEF units.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Anyone?

Is everyone hording these all of a sudden in case they decide to go retro again and swap out the C4 / AOD/ NP435 or NV transmissions they upgraded to ?:?

I thought for sure there would be some of these laying around collecting dust that would be available?

In all my years of selling EB parts, I think I only sold one complete 3 speed and two for parts (hence the pallets of them I still have, just the wrong ones), and I always focused on 76-77 models to buy for parts to avoid these and get the C4's and other good stuff to use or sell.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I hate to ask this but what year is the RAN .. Or how do I know if that is what I have.

I'm not sure what all years might have them, but ours is in a 1967 with a 289. There is a tag riveted to the side of the case that will be stamped with RAN, RAT or HEF on the Broncos. There is something like 100+ other variants of the 3.03 3-speed in other FoMoCo vehicles.

delconick

hey drew its nick, ill check but im virtually certain that i will have one. if i do you might have to stop on by and check out the shop! beers on me!

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
hey drew its nick, ill check but im virtually certain that i will have one. if i do you might have to stop on by and check out the shop! beers on me!

Let me know!

I'm about at the point of sending this RAT gear out for some extensive precision grinding to bring it to the dimensions of the RAN.

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
I have a v8 three speed in my garage bolted to a Dana20 J-shift. I bought it for the D20 so I'd be willing to sell the tranny. I'll have to check to see if it's a Ran or a Rat though. I'll get back to you this evening after work.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
9 1/4 case or 9 3/4 case?I have a 9 1/4 ran tranny here my have a gear at my house call Rob 508 962 0972

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I' ll be at the B.Y.O.B. White f150 w parts

Cool, if you have a RAN or just the gear, please bring it. We will be there in the Semi with Bronco stripes painted on it and a couple EB's in the back! ;D

I guess I need to ask Sean if it will fit back into the club where the event is, if not, we'll be driving the two 77's over from the hotel.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
i have several if you still need it drew.

nick
1-610-986-5506

Thanks Nick, but I just got one from Boss351 at the BYOB event on Saturday.

Already have it dropped off at the tranny shop to get this project moving forward again!

Status
Not open for further replies.