• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parts inside door. Please help identify.

jlawyer

This morning my drivers-side door latch didn't work and my door was stuck shut. Both outer and inner latches would move freely without engagement. After crawling in and out the passenger side all day, I took it apart to see if I could determine what the problem was.

First off, let me say; taking the door panel off with the door closed is super annoying.

After banging my head, dropping my flashlight, getting my fingers covered in grease, and having a quiet fit in the heat; I found that the window track appeared to be loose and holding the outer latch mechanism in between states.

Also while digging around, I found some loose parts. See below:

AAAzHBmPl_SJAKp0oj5uaEx9a

After looking at them it would appear that one part is a genuine jb weld fix by the PO...

AABMXz5BhnWxbG5Ahz5wAwq1a

So the remaining question, what is the keyed washer for?

AACLnmgCkTT-UbnmV78JYi_9a

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Good question, I'm not seeing that washer anywhere

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 43

stagecoach

Loc.
Castro Valley, ca
I think the piece you are showing is the rear window track. It bolts to the inside rear door edge. 2 bolts. The washer looks to be part of bubbas fix.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have seen washers like that underneath a nut that you don't want to back off. You usually fold one side up against the nut you are tightening it down on usually on a keyed shaft. I can't remember seeing one on a Bronco. Not positive, just a thought.
Have a good one!

OP
OP
J

jlawyer

Yes, that is the rear window track... and the piece with jb-weld on it, seems to be there to support a flange that had broken off of said track. It's just the washer that has me puzzled.

Is there a web repository with those parts diagrams? Is there a corresponding table with descriptions that goes with the diagrams? That's super useful. 23370 is the only real candidate.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm pretty sure 23370 is a plastic washer. I haven't ever actually found one in a Bronco I have taken apart. The one you have most definitely does not belong in the stock door. I just finished a frame-off of a Bronco and assembling the doors is still a fresh nightmare. There isn't a washer that looks anything like that that is supposed to be in there.

X2 on the vote for the washer being part of Bubba's fix.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seen washers like that too. But like everyone else, not sure I've seen one on a Bronco.
But if'n it was, I'd say it was part of the door handle button mechanism. A part that's not likely to fall out on it's own, but wonder if there is one up on the backside of the thumb button?

Good luck. Stick it to the dash as a daily reminder of all the questions that Broncos have brought up over the years.

And those window tracks are quite notorious for separating. Probably due to all the slamming.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The washer appears to be from a lock cylinder. Is the door butchered? Or the dash? I'm guessing someone temporarily installed an aftermarket lock cylinder on the door or the door panel; or in the dash, and the washer somehow made the trip into the door when the cylinder was removed.

The repository for those old diagrams is on YOUR computer. Any time you see one, save it on your HDD. I've uploaded most of the ones I've collected (that are related to eBs) into this photo album.

OP
OP
J

jlawyer

I'll just toss it into a zip lock with all the other random odds and ends I find. I ordered a new window track.

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
That washer almost reminds me of a one of a couple of washer found on the vent window pivot stud. I remember there being two washers on it the were flat on one edge and they had a keyed spot on them, like what you have in your picture. I am probably wrong but if my memory serves me right they look an awful lot like what I saw.