• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Passenger rear wheel shake when letting out clutch

mbroadbridge

My truck is freshly restored (new clutch, springs, bushings etc). On the passenger side rear, my new wheel bearing lasted maybe 500km before failing. When I let out the clutch from a standstill in first or reverse the passenger rear wheel shakes/chatters. Is there a chance that my trac loc has an issue?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First time I remember hearing of such a thing. So I don’t have an answer for you, and I don’t know if a limited slip differential can do that. But it seems logical to focus on that.
Either that, or a bent housing.
Also, which wheel bearing type are you using? Still the original sealed ball bearing type, or the upgraded tapered rollers?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Did you see this once? I am sure the shutter is predictable. Just want to make sure it is that wheel only, or you just happen to notice that one wheel one time. Straight line, turning left, or turning right? Soft ground, pavement?

OP
OP
mbroadbridge

mbroadbridge

First time I remember hearing of such a thing. So I don’t have an answer for you, and I don’t know if a limited slip differential can do that. But it seems logical to focus on that.
Also, which wheel bearing type are you using? Still the original sealed ball bearing type, or the upgraded tapered rollers?
The axle is a big bearing style and I have SKF sealed bearings in it. The shaking just seems to resonate from that rear corner.

OP
OP
mbroadbridge

mbroadbridge

The axle is a big bearing style and I have SKF sealed bearings in it. The shaking just seems to resonate from that rear corner
Did you see this once? I am sure the shutter is predictable. Just want to make sure it is that wheel only, or you just happen to notice that one wheel one time. Straight line, turning left, or turning right? Soft ground, pavement?
it is every time you let out the clutch. Direction and terrain don’t mean anything. It is really focused to that rear corner which is why I question if it’s something like the flywheel

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
My truck is freshly restored (new clutch, springs, bushings etc). On the passenger side rear, my new wheel bearing lasted maybe 500km before failing. When I let out the clutch from a standstill in first or reverse the passenger rear wheel shakes/chatters. Is there a chance that my trac loc has an issue?
If it's a fairly new install check the torque on the spring bolts and u-bolts.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I'm really having a hard time following this one.

On the passenger side rear, my new wheel bearing lasted maybe 500km before failing.
How did it fail? Or are you saying because of the chatter, you believe it failed?

When I let out the clutch from a standstill in first or reverse the passenger rear wheel shakes/chatters.

Can you see this?? Or does it just feel like it's coming from there?? If you can actually see this happening, a video would be interesting to see!

it is every time you let out the clutch. Direction and terrain don’t mean anything.
This sounds like basic clutch chatter which is common. Mine had it so bad I thought the whole drive line was going to drop out.

It is really focused to that rear corner which is why I question if it’s something like the flywheel
Fought the chatter for years. Mine ended up needing new bushings in the z-bar and adjustment.

Good luck with this. Wish I could be of some help here....

OP
OP
mbroadbridge

mbroadbridge

When I rebuilt the Bronco I had new ends welded on the axle (bearing housings). The bearings fit tight. When the new bearing failed so quickly I started to focus more on this chatter. The whole truck isn’t shaking, but it really feels like that back corner. If I Jack it up and roll the tire back and forth the passenger side can rotate maybe 2” before the driveshaft engages.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That play is common in rear differentials. Especially limited slip and locking types.
But even open discs can have a lot of play between the spiders.
Is the differential new? And is it a limited slip, locker, or open?