• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PCV Valve Help Needed- 351W EFI

crews44

Loc.
Mullica Hill, NJ
Well I am down to the dirty details of finishing up my motor and need help on the PCV system. I have a 351W roller block and am running the truck lower intake with BCB adapter and mustang efi. I have the efi valve covers with no hole for the PCV valve.

What are my options, if any, other than drill through the nice powdercoated valve covers? I assume I need to run a line from one of the large vacuum ports under the upper intake to valve cover? Or too the itake between MAF and throttle body..

Anybody have any recommendations....

Bronco Pics 115.jpg

mattt

Bronco Guru
Does the truck lower not have a PCV port at the back of the intake....right above the back of the lifter valley? That is where the PCV port is on the Mustang lower and a Lightning lower. If it's not there you might look where it was on the truck.....probably on the valve cover like you mentioned.

I noticed something on the pic you posted. You have the IAC cylinder spun 180* with the connector facing up? Will the IAC work that way? If so, it would get rid of the clearance issue I'm having between the IAC connector and the oil fill cap.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You already have the required vent tube on the pass side. You will need to put a PCV valve on the driver side. Plumb that to a large vac port on the intake.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
This caption explains how it works & links to an article about where to connect it to the intake (or maybe where NOT to...).

Is there a big vacuum tree under the center of the upper intake plenum?

OP
OP
crews44

crews44

Loc.
Mullica Hill, NJ
there is a vacuum tree under the intake. But was hoping to not drill into the valve cover. Doesnt look like the truck lower has the port for the pcv valve.

Any other options? Can I drill the lower intake I wonder

The iac has been flipped by others on here.

OP
OP
crews44

crews44

Loc.
Mullica Hill, NJ
After poundering this a little I think the easiest thing to do is drill for the pcv in the cast aluminum efi covers and put a grommet in. My next questions is how the heck am I going to get a baffle in there.

I saw VW comment before about using two passenger side valve cover and removing the fill tube but I have a lot of time in powder coating the ones I have so i'd prefer to use these. I guess I could try to weld standoffs inside but that will burn pwder coating off.

Can I get by without a baffle if I use the PCV screen?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
JB Weld won't hurt the powder, or you can bend a baffle that wedges into the valve cover & rests on the head (so it can't fall down onto the rockers). A screen should work, but it might be harder to attach & keep clear of the rockers.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Maybe I missed it, and am unfamiliar with your lower intake, but is there a port in the very back of it? On a Mustang, you slip the PCV into that and run the vacuum hose to the tree or intake.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
That's on a car intake, and he's using a truck intake. This is what you're thinking of:

Personally, I prefer the truck setup because the PCV flows through the entire crankcase - not just from one valve cover to the middle.

OP
OP
crews44

crews44

Loc.
Mullica Hill, NJ
Well I just bought the grommet and PCV from Advance. Gonna do the dirty deed and drill into the nice valve cover tonight and rig so sort of baffle......I'll see if I can finagle a picture or two....

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Personally, I prefer the truck setup because the PCV flows through the entire crankcase - not just from one valve cover to the middle.

You are aware that the pushrod holes and oil return holes in the heads pretty much make it all one big crankcase, right?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Yeah, but "positive" crankcase ventilation means there's a forced draft, and if the outlet is in the middle, there isn't a forced draft on the other side. I'm even less-fond of the setup on my 4.9L - in one end of the VC; out the other. Nothing down below. I wonder if I could tap a vent line from the dipstick tube to the air filter box... ;D