• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Picture of my gas cap..I turned out AWESOME

brian72

Early Bronco Student
As you can tell it was a motorcycle fuel door. Molded into the truck and make to look awesome. It locks too...

Attachments

• honda_gastank.jpg
    honda_gastank.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 228
  • install_OF_Gashole.jpg
    install_OF_Gashole.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 298
  • almostfinsished_ gascap_sm.jpg
    almostfinsished_ gascap_sm.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 463
OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Heck...we all have japanese in our truck...somewhere. Mine just happens to look good.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
That's a great idea! I remember seeing your post when you were getting ready to do it. Very nice and being able to lock is a nice feature. Do you HAVE to lock it or can you open it without a key?

J.D.

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
74BroncoCO said:
That's a great idea! I remember seeing your post when you were getting ready to do it. Very nice and being able to lock is a nice feature. Do you HAVE to lock it or can you open it without a key?

J.D.

YES - you HAVE to lock it. When pushed shut...it is locked.

Yes it is vented.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Brian72

You the Man !!!!

Thanks for the PM on the fuel doors. They look GREAT ---- Wasn't as bad as you thought to install I bet.

Again , glad you could get the install done. It turned out well

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Brian - I know you said you had the work done, but do you know how they flanged the hole for the gas lid - or - did they cut out the that section of the motorcycle tank and mold it to shape the EB?

Sure looks good. I decided that I was going to do a fuel door on my 71 that I'm restoring and I like this ideal!

Dale

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
bowhunter said:
did they cut out the that section of the motorcycle tank and mold it to shape the EB?

YES - This is what they did....Cut the filler neck out of the tank and mold it into the truck.

do an ebay search for
honda cbr tank -bra -pad -skin -shell -fairing -pump -cover*

find a tank that is dented and selling for cheap. Hopefully it will have the fuel door and ring. If not...no big deal you can search for those seperately and get some good prices.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
It must be cheaper than those aircraft fuel doors. Where did you find them? Could they be bought new? Or as a part of the tank?

rellimgneb

Loc.
Reno, Nv
You can buy motorcycle gas caps new, but all they are are caps. It wou;d take a lot heavier fabricating to get it to work. the cap just kind of sits in a recessed hole in the tank and then bolts into som nut plates. It would be way easier to cut the tank then weld it onto your bronco. I was thinking of doing this mod myself but I found a 77 so I have door now.

You're best bet is just e-bay a couple tanks, or find a motorcycle salvage yard. You can pick up some tanks for cheap and the gas caps never get hurt in the accidents that destroy the bikes.

crab

Bronco Guru
I'm going to do the same thing on my '73 project. After seeing Rob Smithsons's "Obsession" at SOB a couple years ago with the FZR 1000 billit fuel doors, I knew I had to do it. There is a couple pretty good shots in Bronco Driver issue 15 on how Rob cut out the old tank and graphed it to his bronco. Not sure who started this trend, but I like it........I like it alot!!