• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pinion Nut Anyone?

I had my 9" rebuilt last year, all new parts. For some reason the person doing this job never told me the pinion yolk was trashed,and it leaked on me all last summer. So I just replaced the yolk and seal, and was wondering what the torque specs are on the pinion nut? Thanks for your help

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well its kind of debateable but you probably have a crush sleeve that really shouldnt be reused. But many have reused them including myself. but the torque is 175 ft lbs.
If you have a solid spacer the torque ia 180-220 ft lbs.

I would also suggest putting lock tite on the pinion nut to help ensure it doesnt loosen up.

Quick & Dirty

With a crush sleeve, it doesn't really have a torque spec, just whatever it takes to crush the sleeve down to the proper bearing preload. Setting a new sleeve requires more torque than reusing one.

A solid spacer is much easier, as broncnaz stated.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Technically your 'supposed' to use a new nut also. I can honestly tell you that 99.9% of the shops in this country will just zip the nut on with an impact and move one.. I would just get it on nice and tight. The initial torque on the crush sleeve matters, but it takes a hell of a lot to crush a new sleeve! The last one I did took a 3/4" impact wrench to achieve the proper spec's!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
You need lot of research on this .. Don't ask me how I know .
.. But you need to research every aspect of putting the pumkin together

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
With a crush sleeve, it doesn't really have a torque spec, just whatever it takes to crush the sleeve down to the proper bearing preload. Setting a new sleeve requires more torque than reusing one.

A solid spacer is much easier, as broncnaz stated.

Probably should have rephrased my response to say torque with a crush sleeve should be no less than 175 ft lbs. According to the manual. So it really doesnt have a max torque but has a minimum torque

bk005

Loc.
San Antonio
Probably should have rephrased my response to say torque with a crush sleeve should be no less than 175 ft lbs. According to the manual. So it really doesnt have a max torque but has a minimum torque

Max torque is when you crush it to much re-using one and smoke your bearings.

Not saying it will or its all doom and gloom but just be careful. If I had it apart I'd go solid spacer, but I know where your at just changing a yoke and have done the same. I would get a new nut. I had one back off on a 77 dodge with full time 4x4. Gears slacked up and locked up on exit ramp all 4 tires sudden stop was one neat-O ride.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Roger that but there is no max torque listing you torque until you get the desired pinion preload. If you dont hit at least 175 ft lbs then the crush sleeve has probably not started to crush yet and you will endup with loose bearings. I think around 175 is where the crush sleeve starts to crush.